Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Good salmon net?  (Read 2453 times)

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
Good salmon net?
« on: May 07, 2017, 09:07:12 AM »

Any recommendations for a big, solid, salmon net? The one I have I've had for years. It's fine for pinks or coho, but a big chum or spring pretty much has to fold into the net, or it just won't fit at all.

I'd prefer a rubber net over mesh. I find if I'm releasing the fish the mesh is often a pain. The fish's teeth get snagged up in it, and/or the hook/lure.

I saw one in Cabela's that looked decent maybe $100 bucks or so? Does not need to be "guide grade" but I definitely don't want some POS that will break after a season.

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
Re: Good salmon net?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 12:06:40 PM »

Salt or fresh water ( I'm presuming fresh)

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 04:10:20 PM »

Sorry fresh water. Primarily lower Vedder, Fraser, Harrison.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 09:24:09 PM »

I'm a hug fan of Moby nets. He does have some large sizes, and you can always get one custom made as well!

Expensive up front, but mine has survived 3 yrs of canyon hiking abuse and Kitty using it as a walking stick  :P They also look awesome in pictures as an added bonus!

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 06:51:00 PM »

Thanks Every Day, I will agree that the Moby nets are quite nice. However I want something with a round handle to fit in a rod typical upright rod holder. If I were to lean/lay a wooden net somewhere in the boat I'm sure before someone would step/fall on it and snap!

Just looking for something super solid, preferably shallow-ish rubber basket, that can handle the size and weight of a fat spring or chum.

My current net is alright but too small for bigger salmon, and I hate the deep mesh basket for catch and release.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 10:27:51 AM »

Gibbs has come out with a few nice ones with a rubber mesh. I have two of them right now. One is too shallow for salmon, but this other new one I got recently has a much deeper mesh and longer handle. It's not too big like the ones guides use on a saltwater boat, and small enough for me to carry along the river for both salmon and steelhead.