Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack - Vedder River cleanup on April 22  (Read 3520 times)

Dave

• Old Timer
Chilliwack - Vedder River cleanup on April 22
« on: April 17, 2017, 05:44:32 PM »

A reminder … the Chilliwack Vedder River Cleanup Society will have its first cleanup of 2017 this Saturday, April 22, rain or shine. Registration is at 0830 at the Great Blue Heron Reserve, at the foot of Sumas Prairie Road, off Keith Wilson Road.

Coffee, water, donuts and muffins for volunteers, just bring along your own drink container so we don’t create even more garbage.  This is a family oriented affair, and a great way to introduce kids to the proper way of caring for the river we all love.

I hope to meet some of you there so please introduce yourselves – I’ll be easy to find, just look for a slightly older Brad Pitt ::)

firebird

Re: Chilliwack - Vedder River cleanup on April 22
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 11:36:07 AM »

Thanks for making me spit my coffee Dave ... "slightly older Brad Pitt"  ;D

I hope to make it out but weekends pull me in all sorts of directions.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 05:29:26 PM »

Thanks for making me spit my coffee Dave ... "slightly older Brad Pitt"  ;D

I hope to make it out but weekends pull me in all sorts of directions.

Yeah, I know how busy you are ... if you can make it out to the clean up, great ... if not we all understand.  Most weeks our steelhead counts are on Wednesdays; way to short of notice for tomorrow, but I will contact you for next week.

Cheers bud :D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 08:25:02 PM »

Lets get out and support this very worthwhile cleanup of the Chilliwack Vedder River watershed that so many of fish and enjoy. Always good to put in  a few hours back to our river.  When the CVRCS started way back in 2001 we, in those days we had a lot of people from FWR turn out.

By the latest reports lots of areas need attention.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 04:28:40 PM »

Awesome turnout today ... app 300 people, far more than our usual April turnout.  I believe we had 120 new people register, many of these families with kids; kudos to those parents for teaching them the proper way to dispose of garbage :)

Our chairperson, Nikki Rekman, has engaged high school achievers to get involved with us, and wow, did they ever! None of these young, super bright students had any qualms about getting their hands dirty and working their butts off.  Makes an old codger like me think there actually might be hope down the road and I was especially proud to see my grandson come in with 3 truckloads, working all by himself.  Well done Reilly Tyzio!!

Oh yeah, we filled a large dumpster with garbage, never before done at an April cleanup. Thanks for the participants and hope to see you at our next cleanup on Rivers Day, Sept 24.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 06:51:42 PM by Dave »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2017, 06:13:53 PM »

Awesome turnout today ... app 300 people, far more than our usual April turnout.  I believe we had 120 new people register, many of these families with kids; kudos to those parents for teaching them the proper way to dispose of garbage :)

Our chairperson, Nikki Rekman, has engaged high school achievers to get involved with us, and wow, did they ever! None of these young, super bright students had any qualms about getting their hands dirty and working the butts off.  Makes an old codger like me think there actually might be hope down the road and I was especially proud to see my grandson come in with 3 truckloads, working all by himself.  Well done Reilly Tyzio!!

Oh yeah, we filled a large dumpster with garbage, never before done at an April cleanup. Thanks for the participants and hope to see you at our next cleanup on Rivers Day, Sept 24.
Thanks Dave for your work too, was a good day. I have put some pictures on the Fraser Valley Salmon Society FB for anyone interested in having a look.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2017, 08:16:00 AM »

From the CVRCS . Good work all.

We received the final weigh slip from our river cleanup on 4/22.
• Garbage: 2970 kg
• Metal: 1400 kg
• Wood: 360 kg
• Total: 4730 kg

Last year our April total was 2510 kg, AMAZING JOB EVERYONE!!!!