Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Newbie fly fisherman  (Read 11513 times)

Apennock

Newbie fly fisherman
« on: April 11, 2017, 09:40:30 AM »

I have an old fly rod that has been gathering dust in my garage and I thought this spring/summer should be the season I finally get to using it.  I'm going to be mostly on the Vedder but might head up to the Skagit a few times as well.  I'm really unfamiliar with how to choose flies.  Could anyone give me some tips on where to start?

Rieber

• Old Timer
Re: Newbie fly fisherman
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 10:20:19 AM »

Welcome aboard. Google search and search this forum as well as other local forums - and obviously you're doing that because you're here.

Are you currently a fisherman?

Maybe disclose what your intended targets are in the Vedder - I mean if you are planning to target salmon or steellhead in the Vedder then that's a very different rod than you would like to use in the Skagit - you could make it work but the heavier rod takes away from the experience.

Let's start with your equipment - what weight flyrod do you have and what line(s) do you have.

Do you have waders or plan to wade in shorts during the Summer?

So there are lot's of unknowns to us at this point.

Don't be offended by this next question but do you know how to use the flyrod? Casting lessons may be needed. Are you interested in fly-tying? There are groups which do that and when you tie a fly, you are gathering information on how your fly creation is designed to work and that also helps in the whole fly fishing experience.

Also it really helps just to go flyfishing with someone just to see and learn and get what you need to make this a good experience.

Apennock

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 02:44:37 PM »

I've spent most of my life fishing walleye and like in Ontario.  I've been in Chilliwack for 5 years trying to figure my way around the salmon and steelhead fisheries. 

No offense taken because, really, I hardly do know how to use it.  I took a fly fishing course a couple of years ago when I got the gear but have little experience beyond that.  I had been leaning toward the cutthroat fishing on the Vedder because it's so close I could put in more time on the water to hone my technique then make the trek to the skagit when I'm feeling more confident. 

My rod is an 8'6, 6 wt (hence the cutthroat fishing) and I have a float line of some description (got it with the rod and can't remember the details) and a #4 sinking line.

I have hip waders (no chest, though) so some wading is an option. 

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2017, 04:13:34 PM »

About the only cutthroat fishing you will find on the Vedder is waaaay down below, but now is a good time to start looking, as chum fry are migrating out.
Good luck and keep us posted.

Apennock

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2017, 04:56:59 PM »

Is there somewhere else nearby that would be worth practicing on?  As I say, the Vedder was more a matter of convenience so I can get time on the water. 

flyrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2017, 09:33:41 PM »

Go over to Kilby on the Harrison River as there are places to cast your fly for the travelling Cutthroat along the shore and the pilings up from the camp ground.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2017, 01:17:34 PM »

I think if you use the search function on this site, you'll discover that every question you can think of has some prior discussion on it with pictures of flies, timing, locations. Don't be afraid to directly contact someone from a thread that you find to ask them questions. They might ignore you but maybe not. Most people will help if you explain your self and ask them in a private message.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2017, 06:08:37 PM »

Next year you can suit up for winter weather and fish for cutthroat in the Fraser. There are many good spots near Chilliwack. Also find the Nick Basok Cutthroat tips thread and video Rod posted a few days back where he mentions some spots on Hope Slough.

A #6 rod is Perfect for Pinks on the Vedder and not too light for coho on the Vedder - but try to stay away from Springs and Chum. I'd also go ahead and use it for the summer trout fishery on the Chilliwack. It's also fine for any lake fishing in the area or in the interior.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Apennock

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2017, 06:43:40 PM »

Thanks for your help guys!  Between this and a couple of older threads I found (thanks Reiner) I should be off to a good start.

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2017, 10:38:08 PM »

Thanks for your help guys!  Between this and a couple of older threads I found (thanks Reiner) I should be off to a good start.
I know Rieber but who is Reiner?
It ain't the roe bro'

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2017, 05:34:36 PM »

I know Rieber but who is Reiner?

Reiner is the German Rieber impersonator that rows Mill Lake in nothing but his Lederhosen.  ;D

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2017, 05:39:28 PM »

This guy - oops - lederhosen slip.

Apennock

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2017, 06:38:25 PM »

Haha Sorry, Rieber.  I'm going to blame that one on autocorrect.

I have one more question that I haven't been able to find in another thread.  What is a reasonable casting distance for a beginner fly fisherman?  (i.e. What should I be striving for?  Or maybe more accurately, what's "if I can't cast farther than _____; I need to get some help")

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2017, 07:14:58 PM »

Haha Sorry, Rieber.  I'm going to blame that one on autocorrect.

I have one more question that I haven't been able to find in another thread.  What is a reasonable casting distance for a beginner fly fisherman?  (i.e. What should I be striving for?  Or maybe more accurately, what's "if I can't cast farther than _____; I need to get some help")

Haha - no worries. Get a 40' single hand cast and you're catching fish. If you're wading just make sure your feet are still and quite - a 40' cast will be good. If you're casting further, then that's just all that much the better - sometimes.

I've caught the vast majority of my fish (probably 95%) inside 50'

The further you cast, the more you think you need an $800 rod.

I can't cast my entire dry line and I don't even bother trying anymore. I'm really enjoying my day if I can cast 60' - that's basically the max of my range.

Don't worry, it doesn't matter how far you can cast, somedays those dang fish will only rise 5' out further than your fly can reach.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2017, 08:18:28 PM »

Look up how to 'haul' for further casting distance. But as mentioned, hero casts don't seem to really be necessary, especially if you're fishing rivers.