Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: River Navigation Course Level 1 - April 22/23  (Read 4874 times)

skitterbug

River Navigation Course Level 1 - April 22/23
« on: March 25, 2017, 03:18:51 PM »

We're offering a River Navigation Course Level 1 for this spring.

Link to course - https://kumsheen.com/contact/river-navigation-course/

Pricing – $419(2-day)
Dates –  April 22/23, 2017
Course Hours – 8am to 6pm, each day.
Meals – Riverside lunch, each day
Accommodation – Camping at Kumsheen Resort is included.
Also Includes: In-class & on-river training, PFD/Helmet/Wetsuit

To register contact:

Kumsheen Rafting Resort

1-800-663-6667

Email: rafting@kumsheen.com

I came across Red's fishing shop(Washington) that does a 4 hr course for $150 US. The River Navigation Course from Kumsheen is $419 for 16 hrs, so for a comparison 16 hrs of instruction across the border would cost $600 US($800 Canadian)!!! In my opinion a 4hrs is too short of a course to adequately education anglers on river safety and navigation. So this course is a great deal! And includes camping and lunches for both days.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 08:07:58 PM by skitterbug »

Birkenhead

Re: River Navigation Course Level 1 - April 22/23
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 08:43:17 PM »

I would not recommend this company. They are not very fisherman friendly and more then once on the Thompson, their guides brought their rafts way too close to where we were shore fishing. The guides ignored us when we told them that we had lines in the water - which was easy for them to see...but they did not care and we ended up pulling the lines until the rafts finally moved away.

skitterbug

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 08:14:33 AM »

Wow! Really Birkenhead.

I can't comment on what the circumstances were, but the owner of Kumsheen is an avid fisherman.
Where were you fishing? Was the river narrow or wide? Motorized or paddle boats?

I guided for this company in the 90's and we were always respectful of ALL river users. I'm a co-instructor for the River Navigation Courses only and I approached Kumsheen to host this course. This course will give you the fundamentals to navigate safely and efficiently.

If you would like to email me the details of your encounter, I can forward them to the river manager. darrenwagner@hotmail.com
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 08:19:49 AM by skitterbug »

John Revolver

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 12:48:11 PM »

Hmm,

Can anyone else provide some reviews and feedback?

This looks really cool I'm about 90% ready to sign up for the April level 1 course.

Speyfitter

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2017, 01:08:05 PM »

I've taken the Level 1 Pontoon course with Kumsheen in September 2014 as well as their Intensive 14 day Guide Training & SRT Course in  June 2015. Highly recommended if you can make it, and you will have a lot of fun!  Great company, and great people!

skitterbug

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2017, 01:10:18 PM »

Here's some reviews from flybc.

http://forum.flybc.ca/index.php?showtopic=50071
http://forum.flybc.ca/index.php?showtopic=53536 

This will be the 4th Level 1 course.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.

Cheers
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 01:49:24 PM by skitterbug »

Speyfitter

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2017, 01:29:25 PM »

Even if you think you're ok on the "sticks" any chance you get to push your boundaries a bit in a semi-controlled environment is worth taking.  Also, if you float rivers regularly and have never swam a river, this is something you will experience in semi-controlled environment found in a course and is something that anyone floats rivers should experience in the event something happens down the line. You're better off getting your first swim in a controlled environment so you know what it's like as opposed to something that happens out of the blue and becomes a bit of a shocker to you where you are not prepared for it.  Your first "flip drill" will really reinforce why you need a non-inflatable PFD. The last thing you want to worry about when your boat topples over is inflating a PFD, you want to get to the surface! There also might be that one or two little couple tips or tricks you learn that totally change your outlook on things for the better! 

Here's a video of me flipping in the Trailer park rapids a couple years ago (This is a Class 3 rapid): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf1WQfPSRlQ

The only "criticism" I have of the course is it'd be nice to have video feedback. Darren & Braden will offer you constructive criticism as you row and eddy out periodically which is the way it's been done for over 40 years for their raft guides training which relies on a lot of reptition and practice. And they are excellent instructors and people. But video feedback is another tool that some other (admittedly more expensive - search Class 3 and Class 4 rowing schools by NW Rafting in Oregon) courses use to reinforce what they are saying when they offer you constructive criticism where you don't have the luxury of much time like in the raft guide courses to change your behaviour through repetition . On top of the fact that people plain old just like to see themselves out on the water going through rapids! 
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 01:35:25 PM by Speyfitter »

skitterbug

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2017, 12:22:15 PM »

Hmm,

Can anyone else provide some reviews and feedback?

This looks really cool I'm about 90% ready to sign up for the April level 1 course.

Hi John,

I sent you a pm, I just want to confirm you received it?

Cheers,
Darren

John Revolver

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2017, 08:55:47 PM »

Hi John,

I sent you a pm, I just want to confirm you received it?

Cheers,
Darren

Yes I did thank you very much.! reply sent.

skitterbug

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2017, 09:27:54 PM »

Yes I did thank you very much.! reply sent.

I'll respond to your pm tomorrow.

skitterbug

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2017, 09:26:02 PM »

I forgot to mention, if you're interested in the course but you don't have a boat, Kumsheen rents them out. There's a limited amount, all were rented on the last course.

skitterbug

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2017, 12:35:03 PM »

Course cancelled due to the lack of enough participants.
There will be no future courses in the spring, the fall only.
Next course will be Sept 9/10.

Jk47

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2017, 09:17:23 AM »

That's too bad Skitterbug. This thread had me interested but I wouldn't have been able to attend as I had already committed myself for the end of April to clip adipose fins at my local hatchery. I have never floated a river in my life but as I intend on becoming a freshwater fishing guide in b.c. and spend a lot of time on the flows, this course would be a valuable asset on my resume, and looks like a lot of fun! Maybe next time.  I hope to see you re-post this info in a few months as fall approaches and maybe see you then!

skitterbug

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2017, 01:03:05 PM »

Not only look good on your resume, but you'll have a way better concept of rivers, safety and how to effectively navigate them.
We've taught approximately 30 people so far, and everyone of them had a blast and found it very educational.

I'll send a reminder pm to you when the course is approaching.

Cheers

Jk47

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2017, 02:28:09 PM »

Look forward thanks