Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Go ice fishing in Merritt together?  (Read 2299 times)

psd1179

• Old Timer
Go ice fishing in Merritt together?
« on: March 20, 2017, 07:57:30 PM »

I am planning to ice fishing the late ice in Merritt. Instead of going alone, I was wondering if some wanted to join?

Set off early Saturday morning in New West and come back after sunset.
I caught quite a lot until run out of bait 2 weeks ago, would like to catch some larger ones this time.

Rieber

• Old Timer
Re: Go ice fishing in Merritt together?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 02:16:26 PM »

I am planning to ice fishing the late ice in Merritt. Instead of going alone, I was wondering if some wanted to join?

I caught quite a lot until run out of bait 2 weeks ago, would like to catch some larger ones this time.

Catch and Release ice fishing? I never even considered that before - it just seems a little weird to me maybe it isn't. Do people actually do C&R through the ice?

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 02:34:38 PM »

Some lakes are open to retention through the ice.  Like Tunkwa.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 02:36:02 PM »

Catch and Release ice fishing? I never even considered that before - it just seems a little weird to me maybe it isn't. Do people actually do C&R through the ice?
If the temperature isn't too cold and the fish are handled well I think C&R can be quite successful. I wouldn't expect a fish to live if its gill are exposed to even -5C.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 05:15:20 PM »

Were you doing catch and release or did you mean you had several people in your fishing party and your group caught quite a lot? What does a lot mean? I'm not a fish cop - I'm just curious because I know ice fishing can get very good but I haven't been out on the ice for decades.

How thick is the ice? I put a fair amount of localized pressure on the ice where I stand. ::)