Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Brushable Super Glue  (Read 7177 times)

JBB

• I'm a llama!
Brushable Super Glue
« on: March 15, 2017, 03:37:12 PM »

I've run out of brushable super glue ( Loctite ) and can't seem to find anymore. Tried Ctire, Rona, and Home Depot . Anyone know where I could get some.
Man does not cease to play because he grows old ; he grows old because he ceases to play

DanL

• Old Timer
Re: Brushable Super Glue
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 03:48:55 PM »

Are you in the lower mainland? Michaels has it though it might be under the Lepage brand. Get an internet coupon off thier website and you can get it for 40-50% off.

JBB

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 07:49:00 PM »

thanks for the tip . I'll take a look tomorrow.
Man does not cease to play because he grows old ; he grows old because he ceases to play

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 12:23:10 PM »

It's really hard to find - I think I got some a Rona last year.

I'll take a look at Walmart.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 02:19:52 PM »

Brushable superglue under the Loctitie brand isn't sold in Canada anymore. Some people have complained that Lepages which is made by the same German Company in the same factory as Loctite - doesn't seem to be the same formula as it can develop a white powder finish though I have had good success with it.

Gorilla Glue also markets a brushable superglue that is available from Amazon.ca but I haven't seen it locally as yet nor have I tried it.

Sally Hansen's nail polish is a good alternative and they have a fast dry formula that I have been using to varnish fly heads - dries in minutes and there is no powder effect to the finish.

Another alternative are UV resins.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 05:19:14 PM »

Michael and Young sells Loctite brand super glue.

Loctite or the LePages brands will get the "whitening" if you blow on them due to the moisture in your breath. It can also react to certain foams if you place your flies to dry in foam.

I recently got a new bottle of Loctite from M&Y and have been having issues with it whitening on any materials other than thread....very frustrating to say the least
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Sr SQ

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 05:48:40 PM »

I have found it at most dollar stores believe it or not, they also have the packs with 4 small tubes of regular super glue.
I like the little ones because they usually dry up before I can finish them off.

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 06:58:11 PM »

Zap a gap sells a brushable version, it is a ca glue

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2017, 07:35:20 AM »

Looking on line on how CA glues work, it seems important to apply very thin coats. CA glue react immediately with the hydrogen ions in air borne water vapour to form a solid polymer. Thicker applications will form a surface skin immediately reducing the formation of the reaction under the skin. Contamination of glue in open containers begins immediately. Usual shelf life from manufacture is 1 year and usable shelf life once opened is one month.

Consider those recommendations if poor finishes are encountered.

Storage of open glue in airtight jars with a silica pack is recommended. Some folks report resealing open containers and storing in the freezer extends working life.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2017, 05:32:51 PM »

FYI you can now buy the Gorilla glue brushable at Home Depot. It arrived today !
Check out our new blog

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2017, 12:40:48 AM »

It is recommended by the superglue manufacturers that I use to not put opened CA back into the freezer.

It can extend the shelf life considerably to freeze it before it's opened, but after it's opened, condensation can cause the glue to deteriorate prematurely. I can attest to that.

Putting it in a small sealed jar with silica make so much sense that I'm not the least bit surprised that I didn't think of it myself. So, thanks for the tip on the fishing forum that will help my guitar building life:)

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2017, 07:18:43 PM »

Fyi - Do Not buy the super glue made by Gorilla glue. It does not dry clear but instead dries opaque so it's no good for coating flies
Check out our new blog

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2017, 07:42:25 AM »

I've had the same experience with Zap glues. However both the Gorilla Gel glue and Zap a Gap are excellent glues for various repairs etc overall. I also use them sparingly to fix whip finishes and backing knots.

pwn50m3 f15h3r

• What a great fish...
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2017, 12:44:44 AM »

I find that zap-a-gap works quite well on chironomids, never had a problem with it turning white
Someone was here