Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Steelhead Fishing on the Vedder River - 1946  (Read 7565 times)

Rieber

• Old Timer
Re: Steelhead Fishing on the Vedder River - 1946
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2017, 02:11:07 PM »

it looks to be no longer than 10ft & perhaps shorter. They didn't have mono-filament then so the line is some sort of braid -I don't know if dacron was around then & the reel is likely one of the Hardy Silex's of the day.

Looks cold and it's been a long time since I saw someone wearing a Fedora while steelheading.

Real men were tougher back in the day. This guy sure had small feet for his size.

Beauty of a fish though. Even the Tim Horton's cups were tougher back then as well.

February derby of some sort - or that was just how long it took to fill the roll and get the pictures developed.

I really like these old pictures. Makes me laugh when I think back of what these guys used compared to today's technology and we still can't seem to be satisfied with the latest gear. Mind you that Silex is probably still fishable today.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2017, 04:11:46 PM »

Looks like wide drum Super Silex, possibly a Major but unlikely.  Silex Jewels came into production a few years later.
Not only would it still be fishable (if kept in good condition ...) but worth a few bucks to the right person as well ;)

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2017, 07:09:55 PM »

it looks to be no longer than 10ft & perhaps shorter. They didn't have mono-filament then so the line is some sort of braid -I don't know if dacron was around then & the reel is likely one of the Hardy Silex's of the day.

Looks cold and it's been a long time since I saw someone wearing a Fedora while steelheading.
Ahh. That makes sense. I was looking at the fat line.