Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Getting too crowded on the Skeena  (Read 3392 times)

swimmingwiththefishes

Getting too crowded on the Skeena
« on: February 16, 2017, 10:41:28 PM »

Same old story, but interesting read and some possible options going forward, from Bob Hooton...

http://steelheadvoices.com/?p=255

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
Re: Getting too crowded on the Skeena
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 04:35:18 PM »

Same old story, but interesting read and some possible options going forward, from Bob Hooton...

http://steelheadvoices.com/?p=255

It's just starting to experience what the fraser did 20 years ago and even now compared to the Fraser the skeena almost has no one on it. Guiding is not even remotely as much of an issue as he says. He's just a guy that's been fishing for steelhead for years by himself and can't stand to share his space. Sure guiding may need a bit more regulation but not even mention the Fraser River or the possible impact to any other river system then his own pressures one just shows his motives.

Just wait till foreign home buyers show up to the shores of the skeena this guy will probably drop dead   

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 04:54:42 PM »

"This guy" knows more about steelhead and fish management in BC than you or me could learn in 3 or 4 life times, see:

http://steelheadvoices.com/?page_id=4

I was up in that area for the 1st time this past fall. The number of people on the Bulkley and the popular Skeena bars shocked me. The guiding industry is under regulated. You can check the number of 'licensed guides' on line yet it's clear there are far more guides with clients on the water than the Province lists as having licensed.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 05:52:24 PM »

"This guy" knows more about steelhead and fish management in BC than you or me could learn in 3 or 4 life times, see:

http://steelheadvoices.com/?page_id=4
X 2 Ralph.  Never met him but we had several emails over the years regarding steelhead management; I really respect this man and the way he speaks his mind.

wildmanyeah, I suggest you read his book ... he rightly and correctly crucified DFO's mismanagement of Skeena steelhead interceptions. Imo, he is up there with David Anderson when it comes to salmonid protectionism.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 10:56:56 PM »

You can check the number of 'licensed guides' on line yet it's clear there are far more guides with clients on the water than the Province lists as having licensed.

You can opt out of having your name on the registered guide list, even if you are a registered guide.

It's the way that people like Courtney Olgivie get away with illegal guiding without a license, because if they tell you they have a license, you have to believe them unless you check directly with the ministry.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2017, 07:28:41 AM »

Just like a CO I guess one can ask to see the license?
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2017, 01:17:54 PM »

Just like a CO I guess one can ask to see the license?

You're supposed to... But they can lie about it. Courtney at one point showed a guy I knew a fake one just before he was finally caught for illegal guiding.

I knew he was illegally guiding, and had told my buddy to ask him for it. You can actually be ticketed if you fish with a guide that doesn't have his license, so it's smart to check!

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2017, 05:47:26 PM »

Glad too see you guys so fire up about salmon protectionism with all the pro fish farm posts you have been posting. Thought you would rather just seem them in pens.

Steelhead, whales, seals and dolly varden were all targets for being a nuisance and impediment to livelihoods of commercial fishermen.

It's been my believe for a long time that the federal government would now rather have these stocks go extinct then manage them.  He made some great points but I thought I would be the devil's advocate on this last one.  Okay maybe a bit more of a troll

Dave and RalphH thanks for calling me out on this one. He does reserve respect for the service he has put in. Its kinda bad when I bash on a guy that has pretty much the same views as me.   

« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 06:46:34 PM by wildmanyeah »