Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Alberta Poachers now Guiding in BC!!  (Read 16113 times)

Walleye76

Alberta Poachers now Guiding in BC!!
« on: February 12, 2017, 01:44:21 PM »

http://www.sprucegroveexaminer.com/2015/10/02/rampant-poaching-leads-to-ramped-up-fines

"Hooked Up With Screaming Reels" is now guiding on Fraser river for sturgeon, salmon & trout...

Damien

• Old Timer
Re: Alberta Poachers now Guiding in BC!!
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 02:17:16 PM »

Oh goodness.  I just researched them a bit.  Here they are;

https://www.facebook.com/hookedupwithscreaminreels/

Sophie and Gerard, living it up on the Fraser.

I posted on their page asking if that article referenced them.  Should be fun.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 02:24:12 PM by Damien »

Walleye76

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2017, 02:32:34 PM »

I'm sure they will delete your post in quick fashion...how they are even aloud to fish in BC let alone guide is beyond me

96XJ

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2017, 03:49:23 PM »

Hopefully reputation precedes them and their business suffers , they can pick up and move to another province , we definitely don't need their blatant disregard for provincial regulations

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017, 05:04:13 PM »

Apparently having convictions for fish and wildlife offenses does not make you ineligible to get a BC angling guide license

http://www.frontcounterbc.gov.bc.ca/guides/fish-wildlife/angling-guide/eligibility/

96XJ

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2017, 05:57:04 PM »

I checked that out too , why would provincial governments communicate with each other to keep the worst offenders from exploiting our resources ?

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2017, 07:12:04 PM »

Holy crap, someone in the Chilliwack area pick up the phone and call this into Alberta Fish and Wildlife. I am sure the judge who convicted these two will not be pleased and more charges may be forthcoming against them.

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2017, 09:08:30 PM »

Here is additional information about the poaching charges in Alberta and the individuals involved:

Fish and Wildlife Officers bust prolific poachers
Posted on October 1, 2015   by Alberta Justice and Solicitor General

On September 28, 2015, Sophie Goupil and Gerard Visneskie pleaded guilty to a wide variety of poaching charges in Stony Plain Provincial Court. Sophie Goupil received a fine of $16,000. Gerard Visneskie received a fine of $34,000.

In addition, both Goupil and Visneskie are prohibited from hunting or accompanying others who are hunting for eight years and fishing or accompanying others who are fishing for two years. They are also required to report any change of address and any possession of wildlife or fish to Fish and Wildlife Officers.  In addition, they are subject to comprehensive limitations on where they can be in possession of weapons for eight years.

This was the conclusion of a complex investigation that involved several different suspects and incidents that occurred over a period of about seven years. On January 28, 2014, Fish and Wildlife Officers in Stony Plain received a complaint via the Report A Poacher program about pictures and videos showing alleged illegal hunting activity posted by Gerard Visneskie to Facebook and YouTube.

The investigation revealed that Gerard Visneskie, Sophie Goupil, Damien Verheyden, Alyssa Rogers, Mark Ernewein and Stanley Raugust participated in a substantial amount of unlawful hunting and fishing activity.

The activities demonstrated a complete lack of regard for conservation laws and ranged from using a variety of unlawful equipment and methods, falsifying documents to unlawfully obtain licences, hunting and fishing without licences, and hunting and fishing during closed seasons.

Any suspicious hunting or fishing activity can be reported to the 24-hour Report A Poacher line at 1-800-642-3800. Thanks to the public who called in regarding this investigation.

RaP

Outcomes

On November 4, 2014, Stanley Raugust received a total penalty of $667 after pleading guilty to:

butcher failing to complete records;
    butcher failing to retain records; and
    unlawful possession of wildlife.

On January 28, 2015, Alyssa Rogers was fined $3,105 and suspended from fishing for one year and hunting for two years after entering guilty pleas to the following offences:

hunting wildlife without a licence; and
    two counts of fishing without a sport fishing licence.

On June 25, 2015, Mark Ernewein was fined $4,500 and suspended from fishing three years after pleading guilty to:

two counts of exceeding the possession limit for fish; and
    sport fishing in closed waters.

On July 15, 2015, Damien Verheyden was fined $13,500 and suspended from obtaining a hunting licence for 30 months after entering guilty pleas to the following offences:

four counts of unlawful possession of wildlife;
    fishing with a spear gun;
    ineligible person applying for, obtaining and/or holding a licence;
    hunting wildlife without a licence; and
    wilfully give false and/or misleading information.

On September 28, 2015, Sophie Goupil was fined $16,000 and suspended from hunting for eight years and fishing for two years after pleading guilty to:

hunting wildlife during a closed season;
    exceeding the possession limit for fish;
    two counts of hunting wildlife without a licence; and
    fishing without a sport fishing licence.

On September 28, 2015, Gerard pleaded guilty and was fined $34,000 and suspended from hunting for eight years and fishing for two years for:

hunting wildlife during a closed season;
    unlawfully baiting big game;
    exceeding the possession limit for fish;
    using a handgun to hunt;
    fishing with a spear for prohibited species;
    using an electronic calling device to hunt;
    ineligible person applying for, obtaining or holding a licence; and
    unlawful possession of wildlife.

The fines in this investigation totalled $71,272.

Snagly

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2017, 09:15:22 PM »

A few printouts of the fines plus the name of the new guiding operation distributed in area fishing tackle shops should help get the word around.

I was particularly impressed by the use of a spear to take a protected fish species.

I've been legally guided in Alaska by reformed (maybe!) poachers. I can tell you that these fellows have the very best stories! Whether they're true or not, I could never tell. Once fellow subsequently was caught guiding two undercover cops on an illegal sheep hunt and ended up drawing seven years at taxpayers' expense in a federal lockup.
"One and done" to limit our impact on wild steelhead

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2017, 09:42:36 PM »

Interesting, Facebook page shows a harvested animal and at the same time mentions they have firearms possession limitations.

Thing is I wonder if this applies outside of Alberta at all.

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2017, 10:39:51 PM »

With respect to Firearms I would say yes. This is because a handgun, a restricted fire arm,  was used to kill  a deer from a vehicle. This clearly violates so many laws aside from the hunting conviction, that the hand gun was probably confiscated and the individual also probably lost their restricted fire arms license.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 10:43:27 PM by dennyman »

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2017, 09:35:41 AM »

Thank you for posting this! I will make sure I never book with these guys and if I hear of anyone trying to book with them I'll be sure they read this first.

Unbelievable people with such ethics would actually try and make a living in the guide industry.

Walleye76

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2017, 01:51:46 PM »

:o I guess I missed something.... not sure why that last post was removed??

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2017, 09:23:17 PM »

E12802-1   1   08-Jul-2015   SFR - 63 prohibited method/gear/bait used during close time   Commit   MANSELL, BRODY Tyler   

E3219-1   1   04-Jun-2016   SFR - 63 prohibited method/gear/bait used during close time   Commit   MANSELL, BRODY Tyler   Penticton BC

fisherforever

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2017, 10:13:59 PM »

E12802-1   1   08-Jul-2015   SFR - 63 prohibited method/gear/bait used during close time   Commit   MANSELL, BRODY Tyler   

E3219-1   1   04-Jun-2016   SFR - 63 prohibited method/gear/bait used during close time   Commit   MANSELL, BRODY Tyler   Penticton BC
Know all about him too. Damien, you can probably expect this post to be deleted as he works at Freds and God help you if you say something against an advertiser on the forum, all that matters is the money.