Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Interesting Pic-Scottish Fisherman's Tackle Box  (Read 2844 times)

Dogbreath

Interesting Pic-Scottish Fisherman's Tackle Box
« on: January 17, 2017, 09:51:06 AM »

Not the pile of flies you might expect to see-check this article in The Guardian and you'll see most guys are fishing gear not flies

Easywater

• Old Timer
Re: Interesting Pic-Scottish Fisherman's Tackle Box
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 10:03:34 AM »

See a few spey guys so not all lure fishermen.
Fishing in Great Britain is quite different from here (never done it, though).

Most places you have to pay a fee to fish.
Saw this article: http://www.loch-lomond.net/boating/fishing.aspx

There is now a permit for COARSE fishing prices is £2.50 per day or £25.00 per season (All money raised going to fishery trust for scientific work related to fishery etc)

Game fishing prices are: £15.00 per day. £40.00 per week

Season permits are £160.00 plus a one off joining fee of £25.00

An entrance fee of £25 if over 21yrs of age and £12.50 if under 21yrs of age is payable on the first year of membership. The annual fee is £132 if over 21yrs £44 if under 21yrs. *

Season
•Salmon from 11th February to 31st October
•Sea Trout from 1st May to 31st October
•Brown Trout from 15th March to 6th October
•A permit is required for all game fishing
•Legal methods of fishing Fly / Spin / Bait (inc.shrimp)
•Sunday fishing is not permitted

Other info:

The Basics of Scottish Angling Law

Unlike other countries (including England and Wales) Scotland has no State licencing system for fishing. It is however a criminal offence to fish for salmon without legal right or written permission and generally it is a civil offence to fish for other fishes.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 11:33:00 AM »

Interesting it says Sunday fishing is not permitted.  that'd be quite the PO to try to make time to take my kids out.

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 01:44:10 PM »

Most places you have to pay a fee to fish.

Unlike other countries (including England and Wales) Scotland has no State licencing system for fishing. It is however a criminal offence to fish for salmon without legal right or written permission and generally it is a civil offence to fish for other fishes.

As Canadians we have no idea how lucky we are.  When I first started to fish in BC it took me a long time to convince myself that I was not doing something illegal and not to feel guilty when fishing the rivers here, because I had not paid a membership to a fishing club or paid the owner of the riparian rights to the river (apart from the fishing license) to fish on these incredible rivers with astonishing numbers of fish.

If you wanted to fish in Scotland for salmon, with anything like the same chances as you have here to catch a salmon in BC, you would be paying 100's if not 1,000's of dollars per day

Speaking with some salmon anglers in the UK last summer, I asked if they could fish with roe, they were horrified and applaud by the suggestion saying that would be unethical, unfair and illegal.   Apparently, on the Seven River you can't even float fish for Salmon.  Then you look in the tackle box and see lures with two sets of triple hooks, with barbs and go like WTF.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 06:02:05 PM »

I'm guessing here but suspect those lures/wobblers/what evers :o are meant for pike.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 06:21:40 PM »

Not the pile of flies you might expect to see-check this article in The Guardian and you'll see most guys are fishing gear not flies

It's going to depend on the specific water and the time of year. As all salmon and trout water is private - who ever manages the water will determine gear restrictions - if any. Fishing gear and bait for salmon(not roe which has never been legal in Europe & The Uk) is a long tradition in the Old world - the only place with fly only restrictions are here in the Maritimes but it's also common that many if not most fisheries switch to fly only as the weather warms  later in Spring. Note the salmon season begins mid-Feb - pretty much winter fishing.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 07:07:48 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Dogbreath

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2017, 06:47:33 PM »

I'm guessing here but suspect those lures/wobblers/what evers :o are meant for pike.
Those Toby lures-known as 'Spinners'-are legitimate Salmon lures.