Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What's the outlook for bottom bouncing opportunities on the Fraser this August?  (Read 11199 times)

Rieber

• Old Timer

Will we have an opportunity to harvest Sockeye from the Fraser River this year?

Any rumors or threats of an opening for Recreational fishermen?

brandooner

the "big year" run isn't until next year. Haven't heard any rumors or anything about this year yet...
The Fishin' Musician!

typhoon

• Old Timer

Really? A sockeye flossing discussion on January 12th?
Give it a rest for 6 months.

Rieber

• Old Timer

Really? A sockeye flossing discussion on January 12th?
Give it a rest for 6 months.

Why give it a rest? You were obviously interested since you read and replied.  ::)

I was actually thinking about Vacation time and wondering to myself if I should even bother booking a few days for an anticipated Sockeye opening.

But anyways, if the big run is next year then the discussion will be pretty much over before it even gets started.

Damien

• Old Timer

The forum has been dead lately, with the holiday season and more limited fishing options things can be slow these days.  Whats the big deal about a thread that talks about the upcoming season?

Bring on the spring and summer!  Going to get the Kayak in the water a lot more this year and looking forward to hitting some pinks from the Yak.  IF there are catchable sockeye, all the better.  I will spend some time at the mouth of the fraser from the tinny to get them in the chuck.

typhoon

• Old Timer

So very sad...

Walleye76

^^^ x2

Apennock

I believe "side drifting" is the preferred nomenclature, Dude.

Rieber

• Old Timer

If they open it - that will be a good sign. If they don't, it's understood why.

If they do open, I wonder how the regulation will read? "Until further notice, long leaders can be used?" or "Selective fishing will temporarily not be enforced?"

I worried about my Sockeye leaders dry rotting on the rolls.

Maybe it will be fly fishing only for Sockeye. #2 Green wool flies on a 10' leader and a 3oz split shot.

Dave

• Old Timer

Rieber, you are $hotdisturber 8)  I love it!

Rieber

• Old Timer

All this wonderful sun today sure had me thinking about the good old Sockeye fishing days.  :'(

Man, some fresh smoked Sockeye would be a nice treat right now.

Rieber

• Old Timer

Rieber, you are $hotdisturber 8)  I love it!

I give it 100% about 40% of the time.

Knnn

• Old Timer

Maybe it will be fly fishing only for Sockeye. #2 Green wool flies on a 10' leader and a 3oz split shot.

LOL, once upon a time I quite innocently asked if fly fishermen invented flossing, I think I lost my left nut over that one.

DanL

• Old Timer

If we dont let ourselves get too hung up on just the BB/flossing aspect, the health of the sockeye return has implications beyond that one specific fishery, so it's of interest to discuss IMHO. Dont know if this will be of any value to you but on the DFO website there is a section for a scientific advisory board that publishes reports on, among many other topics, pre-season run size forecasts for Fraser River sockeye.  I'm not involved in this in any way, just stumbled on it while navigating the maze that is the DFO website.

http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/csas-sccs/index-eng.htm

Apparently for sockeye, they meet every winter around Dec/Jan and publish a report sometime around Feb/Mar for the upcoming season. It appears to be based primarily on mathematical models and previous returns which presumably then gets refined and updated with test fishery and in-river data whenever that starts around June(?) (don't know if that's exactly how it works, just guessing here). Based on previous years, the earliest guess at the 2017 season might be available in a month or two.

FWIW  I believe they forecasted a lower return year in 2016 : Link and PDF for those interested

Unfortunately as we all know, the actual numbers ended up being much worse than predicted after all was said and done and we got one of the lowest returns on record.

They have archived reports going back quite a few years if you are inclined to sift through them and see if forecasts for a particular year at all correlated with previous recreational opportunities. I dont take part in that fishery so I dont know when previous openings took place, not to mention that pre-season forecasts are subject to be highly variable, to say the least.

Man, some fresh smoked Sockeye would be a nice treat right now.

Well, if you must have sockeye that badly, you'll never get skunked at Superstore...

Rieber

• Old Timer

They have archived reports going back quite a few years if you are inclined to sift through them and see if forecasts for a particular year at all correlated with previous recreational opportunities. I dont take part in that fishery so I dont know when previous openings took place, not to mention that pre-season forecasts are subject to be highly variable, to say the least.

They calculate and predict but it looks like the decision of openings are based on how loud whatever group cries (maybe that's not fair for me to say) but depends on what they are seeing at the Albion test fishery.

Well, if you must have sockeye that badly, you'll never get skunked at Superstore...

I got my 2016 Sockeye at the Abbotsford Safeway.