Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Two fined for illegal catch of rockfish in Whytecliff park  (Read 2758 times)

Hohummm

• I'm a llama! and llamas are bigger than frogs

DanL

• Old Timer
Re: Two fined for illegal catch of rockfish in Whytecliff park
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 04:56:43 PM »

No sympathy here, but those are some pretty hefty fines. Sometimes I peruse the conviction page on the DFO website for a chuckle and the multi-thousand $ fines seem to be levied mostly for commercial infractions and not typically for recreational fisheries.

Oh well. If you dont want to follow the rules then you better be ready to break out the cheque book when you get busted.

ThatDeafGuy

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 10:42:13 PM »

I think you can't put a pricetag for being a part of ruining the environment or endangering wildlife, including fishes.  Nice to see them hit hard though.  If fines were similar for salmon and steelhead fisheries, I think we would see a healthy population rather suddenly...
Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers.

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 04:55:11 PM »

If fines were similar for salmon and steelhead fisheries, I think we would see a healthy population rather suddenly...

No, we wouldn't. Poaching on most waterways FWR anglers fish has little impact on stocks. Of much greater concern are ocean survival, netting, water temps, etc.

That's not to say I wouldn't agree with larger fines and stiffer penalties, but you're kidding yourself if you think increasing fines would lead to a healthier salmon/steelhead return on almost all rivers.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 07:43:06 AM »

Our license fees should be used to build jails for illegal sport fishers.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?