Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I was promised negativity, where was it?  (Read 3189 times)

BirdNester

I was promised negativity, where was it?
« on: July 26, 2004, 12:07:20 AM »

So being as I am new to fishing, I get most of my fishing info from a few friends and mostly on FWR.  All I have heard about is people fishing and getting angry at each other and people getting stabbed and bars being closed down.  I heard it would be a gong show when the Sockeye opened and while it is true, there are a tonne of people out there, they are nothing but friendly.  From strangers telling me what pools to fish and why, to guys teaching me better casting techniques as they can tell I am new at using a level-wind casting reel. It's been a great experience.
If it gets too crouded and more want to join, they ask politely if anyone minds if they step in. People get hooked on each other, one will reel in, the other fixes it.
"Thank-you."
"No problem."
So, sure I believe you when you said there would be problems, but no area of anything in life is without problems. Why was I given the impression that it would be 'nothing but problems'?
To all the leadbelly's out there, thanks for your kind advice and helpful tips. Glad to part of a new sport with such a great community of people. Hope to meet a bunch more of the posters from here out there.

RobertO

Bantam_50

Re:I was promised negativity, where was it?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2004, 02:06:04 AM »

Nester, there's those beginners who shouldn't drive a vehicle and those that should, if you get my drift (no pun intended). I've offered help to many, courteous like yourself and thrown a few into the drink that obviously never got taught manners or respect by their mother.

It's all in how you present yourself. And yes there's a few top rods who think their $hit don't stink and frown at every newcomer. But generally speaking act ethically and you'll be treated well.  ;)

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2004, 06:14:52 AM »

;D

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2004, 08:29:02 AM »

Fish long enough and you'll see it.  For the most part, though, you're correct.  Most people are friendly and considerate and will help you out if you ask questions.  When you do encounter the bad apples just ignore them, sometimes they go away.  Just hold your ground and keep quiet.  I've always found that they stop hasseling you if you don't give them anything to work with.

JP PATCHES

• Awaeyegoyemugye
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2004, 12:43:18 PM »

Most are freindly, & helpful. Its too bad ALL get labeled under negative stereotypes. If you surround yourself with good people on these bars you will have a great time.

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2004, 01:01:19 PM »

It all depends how big you are!! ;D ;D
If you are 6'2'' 230 lb. everybody will be nice to you
if you are not then you will find the as#ho$es :o :o :o

but seriously most people are nice and easygoing, but eventually you will run into the ultimate jerk and he change your whole perspective!!
Rick.

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!