Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Journal From The Chilliwack Vedder River, December 29, 2016  (Read 8360 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
The Journal From The Chilliwack Vedder River, December 29, 2016
« on: December 29, 2016, 07:55:06 PM »

Welcome to the Journal on Fishing with Rod your top fishing web site in Canada and beyond, for fishing information, tall tails, fishing tips, environmental issues, educational videos including live streaming with Kitty, Rod and guests.

Today it has been nearly a month since I had wetted a line after suffering from a miserable cold, (many of others are too) and being away for a few days over Christmas. I even missed the annual Boxing Day Steelhead derby for the first time in a long time, either fishing it or covering it for this web site and in years past writing a derby report for the Chilliwack Progress.

By the way it was good to see Rod Toth take the Kingfish this year and take home the coveted Ferguson Furnell perpetual trophy, that goes way back in time.

Today was certainly a miserable wet day around 2 to 3 Celsius with snow not far away.  I decided to wait until the late afternoon before heading out. I had bought a new roll of Maxima Ultragreen 12 pound test line as the line on my Avon reel was looking a little worn and not that much on the drum either.Slipped on an Auston Matthews 25 gram DNE float along with a #1 Gammy. I thawed out some chum salmon roe, thought of tying some roe bags but decided not too.

Needless to say I was anxious to get out on the flow if nothing else to see how the river had changed since I was out for coho salmon and chum salmon.

As I arrive at the first run I noticed how the dropping river had changed things, some nice looking runs. I notice around 6 anglers working the runs, all on the other side so I had a number of runs to work, it is around 2:30 or so as I work through a couple of runs. I donot want to spend too much time in one area as this was more an exploring trip as I said earlier and wanted to check out as much of the area as I could before darkness closed in.

My hands are getting cold and I donot use gloves, to much of a hindrance I find. I think maybe that is it for the day but I say to myself better go a little further as I notice a good looking spot a few hundred meters downstream.

When I reach the spot I notice some woody debris just under the water, this as steelheaders know your quarry likes to lay below it, this one created a nice slick behind it maybe 3 feet or so deep.

My bait looks a bit ratty but the pink wool made it look respectable. On the first cast the Auston Matthews DNE dips, I pull half heartily and darn I feel a couple of head shakes but that was all, was that a steelhead or maybe a late run chum or coho salmon, maybe a trout or dolly, one never knows.

I put on a nicer piece of the chum salmon bait,  several casts later with no results, of course I start to doubt what I really had on at the start but I was sure it was a fish.

I must have made 30 casts before the float goes down completely, I strike like one should but there is nothing there, as I reel in, I also find the bait is gone too, must be a fish, I feel excited, one never loses that feeling, well I donot anyway even though I have caught hundreds of steelhead over the years. That makes us continue to seek out these silver beauties.

On goes another fresh bait, not sure how many casts I make this time but the float goes down again, I am ready this time and as I strike, I feel some weight at the end of my line, it is not a snag as snags do not shake their head or boil to the surface.

I can hardly believe it, my first trip for the season and I am into a Ironhead. My hands are no longer feeling cold as the battle is now on. The fish heads mid river then comes towards me, I see it flashing in the slightly colored water that seems to be getting worse as the time slips on, no wonder as it is raining so hard.

The fish looks over 10, will it be a hatchery or wild? I donot care, it is a steelhead. The fish now trys to head towards the snag but I am able to hold it away from it but with 8 pound leader I am pushing it a bit.

I am listening to the Leaf game as I type this and they have just won in O/T, again, good to to see Matthews score again. You may wondering if I win the tussle with this fish?

The fish is now tiring so it starts to head downstream, towards a log in the river, does not look good, glad I had put on the new line today, thanks to my son Andrew and family for the Christmas gift certificate or I would not have got the new line for today's outing.

I hold the rod high hoping the fish will go past the log and my line will not catch on it. I follow and as I get below the log I am please to see it has cleared it.

Next problem is, fast water ahead, I have to put the leader to the test again. It holds as I am able slid the fish into the shallows. It is a wild buck but a nice fish I guess in the 12 to 13 pound range. I quickly easily slip the hook out and send the steelhead on his way. As the steelhead gains its freedom I notice a bit of a seal bite on it's tail, not serious for it's health, I hope.

Needless to say I am pleased to get this fish on my first trip for the season, maybe lucky too but I now have that "Steelhead Fever" once again. See you on the river and Happy New Year to you all.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 08:25:32 PM by chris gadsden »

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
Re: The Journal From The Chilliwack Vedder River, December 29, 2016
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 08:07:03 PM »

congrats. always feels good to get into one early in the season. hope this season is a good one.

greyghost

• Poach the poacher!
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2016, 08:09:18 PM »

Great read Mr. Gadsden! Great read! 8)
Have you talked too someone for a while and thought too yourself.......
"who ties your shoelaces for you"

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2016, 11:43:30 PM »

Good stuff Chris. Congrats.Nothing quite like the first one of the season.
Or the second third fourth etc....
Sounds like it's shaping up to be a good year on the CV.

Nicolas The Fisherman

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2016, 07:06:37 AM »

Great to once again read the journal Chris. I'm glad you got into a fish, and on your first trip to boot! Hope to see you out on the river soon!

rheticus

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2016, 07:17:58 AM »

Who else, in the midst of an exciting account of him playing a big steelhead, will pause to comment on a Leafs game? Delightful!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2016, 02:19:55 PM »

Who else, in the midst of an exciting account of him playing a big steelhead, will pause to comment on a Leafs game? Delightful!

Can't blame Chris. Leaves winning occurs as often as we get a blue moon. ;D

Silex-user

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2016, 04:51:01 PM »

Good fishing report Chris. It be tough fishing next couple weeks with the cold snap coming. Maybe ocean fishing  might be ok. I have not being out yet. I guess I am consider myself fair weather steelheader!!! ::)

Silex user

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2016, 09:24:07 AM »

Way to go on the fish Chris and thanks again for another page from The Journal. :)

Bavarian Raven

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2016, 02:45:14 PM »

Nice story - glad you caught one. I haven't been fishing since halloween :(