Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cannery Channel/Garry Point Park, Wednesday, December 25-28  (Read 12341 times)

joshuag232

Cannery Channel/Garry Point Park, Wednesday, December 25-28
« on: December 28, 2016, 08:13:23 PM »

Been fishing the cannery channel on the public moorage dock in Steveston for the last 4 days starting from sunrise to about 12pm. Work nights so I'm lucky. Straight after work. Each morning veries, the Herring bite is best at low tide and first light. Been getting 2-12 a morning for the last 4 days. So many boats parked at the dock. Space is very limited. Anyone that has been through Steveston for a walk will know what I am talking about. Need to get there at 6am to get a spot.

Rieber

• Old Timer
Re: Cannery Channel/Garry Point Park, Wednesday, December 25-28
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 11:02:04 AM »

Are those good size for the species? The bottom picture looks like a decent size. Probably tasty little guys being so fresh. What do you do with them? Pan fry?

I've never fished for Herring and honestly don't think I ever will but it's nice seeing someone making good use of their local opportunities.

Are these things scrappy with lots of surface fight or just burrowing dogs? Just curious.

Nice pictures - the two with the fur hat give me the impression you're out in Russia or Poland - never mind balmy Steveston. Cool.

Thanks for sharing.

Ambassador

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2016, 02:16:12 PM »

Rieber you got me curious as to how to cook them also - I found this great local vid featuring "Kosta the Fishmonger". He goes through filet methods, brining, canning and cooking. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSHph7p0Zm8
"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown

kanuckle head

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2016, 05:39:44 PM »

Thank you for sharing
Curious are you using a regular herring jig or another method to target this species

joshuag232

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2016, 08:04:41 PM »

Thanks Guys. I pan fry them. Honestly the first ones I ate were a bit mushy. Nothing like the ones my friend gave me from over by Polier Passage caught my seine in the food herring fishery. Those were firm and delicious... much line pan fried sardines. I use a herring jig, two hooks only. Can make 3 sabiki rigs from one six hook rig if you tie them right. Only 2.49$ at army&navy. Honestly, it's mostly aboutt the community for me too. I am fluent in Mandarin and just have a blast having a beer or two and shooting the Sh*t with the oldtimers talking about the cultural revolution among other things. Very nice men and women down there herring fishing. Obviously line crossing does happen like busy salmon season but it's all good and a quick untangle does the trick. I've seen younger men giving their herring to older men that can't cast as far as well as younger guys helping older guys down the ramp in the icy conditions. Really heartwarming. Heres a few from this morning. Got another big herring.

Good size

This is the type of community Im talking about. This man is from Dalian, Northern China. A city much colder than here. He was one of the only men left as the freezing rain started. Candid pic of the Canadian Kid and the Northern Chinese guy sharing something common over a beer or two fishing for an underutilized species. Tight lines everyone. <===<

joshuag232

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2016, 08:05:57 PM »

I've heard aging them in the freezer makes them firm up which could make sense since the ones my friend gave me were FAS at a very cold temp. So I'm trying that. I've seen some nearly 1/3-2/3 bigger than my bottom fish in the freezer bag. Close to a 1lb or so. As for fighting they are very scrappy, much like a small dolly and when you hook into two big ones at once which has happened... get ready for a little  tussle. Also, their mouths are very soft so bringing them in without the hooks coming out is VERY challenging. It is much akin to fly fishing on the bottom with two hooks. You basically just drag a weight with little jerks here and there, trying to trigger a bite. 20-50 fish days are a common sight for the old timers. This is only my first season herring fishing. I prefer to stick closer to Garry Point because of the lack of crowds and also for self preservation of my ego. ( On a side not just thought I'd share this photo  ;D Totally me. Funny post for a social media site. It's my facebook cover photo)  8) Tight Lines Guys
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 08:15:36 PM by joshuag232 »

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2017, 12:20:02 AM »

Rieber you got me curious as to how to cook them also - I found this great local vid featuring "Kosta the Fishmonger". He goes through filet methods, brining, canning and cooking. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSHph7p0Zm8

Wow I haven't seen that man in years. A little off topic, he used to own the 2 fish markets across from each other at lonsdale quay. My father built all the stainless in his stores. great guy.  I think the shell fish side is gone now, but the fish side is still there.
Shame he used to sell the best seafood chowder you've ever had from the side that's been converted to some dinky beer tasting hangout now.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 12:24:12 AM by Noahs Arc »

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2017, 08:25:47 AM »

Screaming Mimi's was the chowder and shellfish business.The rents at Lonsdale Quay are really high and it doesn't surprise me he had to shut down. On the bright side the fish and chips at Montgomery's ( in the quay)are the best I've ever tasted. The prawns they serve just melt in your mouth, the cod and halibut equally awesome.
http://

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2017, 11:38:46 AM »

Yummy herring..

3 whole salt herring fillets
    1 tablespoon whole mixed pickling spice
    1 1⁄2 cups white vinegar
    1⁄2 cup white sugar
    4 medium onions, sliced

Directions

Remove heads and tails from herring.
    Soak herring in cold water for 12 hours or overnight, changing water once or twice.
    Thoroughly clean and skin the herring, taking care to remove all bones.
    Cut into 1 inch squares.
    Tie the pickling spice in a cheesecloth bag.
    In a large saucepan, combine the vinegar and sugar.
    Add the spice bag and boil for 5 minutes.
    Cool.
    In a large glass container, alternately layer the herring and onion slices.
    Pour the cooled marinade over the herring.
    If you want a spicier taste, add the spice bag to the mixture.
    Keep refrigerated.
http://

joshuag232

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2017, 11:21:19 PM »

Also good fly fishing opportunities for them... if anyone knows how to a Krill fly or Copepod Fly ill buy some off you and make them into sabikis. Tight Lines. Even throw you some free herring ;)

joshuag232

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2017, 11:22:10 PM »

Yeah he is a very good guy... very good fisherman as well.

joshuag232

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2017, 03:51:07 AM »

Sooo had a couple of the "large herring" for snack last night. Pan fried with salt. Fantastic. Also, when I gutted them..found these light coloured shrimp in their bellies. I've encountered them before in the Tidal Fraser. Small, maybe 2cm long. Wish I knew how to tie flies, some of the guys with sabikis from China/Japan/Taiwan grossly outfish me. Seems like they work better. If anybody has any of these for sale... I will buy them. Tight Lines.

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2017, 07:33:55 PM »

joshua232.....try looking on amazon.ca.........type sabiki rig. you might find something familiar to what the other fellows are using. I picked up a couple very cheap from there last year.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2017, 11:57:23 AM »

Give First Light Tackle a visit or call. Dont know for sure if they have herring specific stuff but he brings in lots of tackle from asia, specifically Japan, for the more niche fisheries. If any LFS might carry things like this I bet it would be them.

They are also a FWR sponsor I believe...

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2017, 01:05:03 PM »

Most tackle shop carries herring jigs.