Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Traditional Steelhead Flies  (Read 4495 times)

robbo1970

Traditional Steelhead Flies
« on: December 20, 2016, 07:17:39 AM »

Does anyone still use more traditional flies for winter steelhead. I have tied up some night dancers and patriots for summer runs but would like to maybe tie up some for the winter too. Plus they look nice also!
If anyone wants to pass on a couple of patterns that would be great. I also found a lot of patterns on the caddis fly shop blog so going to give those a whirl to.

Thanks.

ByteMe

Re: Traditional Steelhead Flies
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2016, 09:22:17 AM »

I only use 3 patterns for winter........orange/silver for early season, Paintbrush later on and Winters Hope from Feb to end of season. I used to tie them on AJ heavy iron hooks, but am tying them on tubes now. I fish them with interchangable drop weights up to 15grains, 15ft tapered mono leader on a floating DT spey line
There is more Bull S**T in fly fishing than in a Texas cattle yard
                                         Lefty Kreh

JBB

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2016, 08:41:58 AM »

What are interchangeable drop weights ?
Man does not cease to play because he grows old ; he grows old because he ceases to play

ByteMe

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2016, 08:56:30 AM »

What are interchangeable drop weights ?

I use the Protube system. They have 3 different drop weights 6gr, 10grs and 15grs for their tubes. I just slide the one needed at the time down my tippet and on to the front of the tube which fits snugly, all my tubes are tied sparse and unweighted, or you can buy worm weights from Bass Pro Shops for the same effect.
There is more Bull S**T in fly fishing than in a Texas cattle yard
                                         Lefty Kreh

robbo1970

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2016, 08:57:46 AM »

I think the interchangeable weights are similar to worm weight that bass fisherman use.
I have some heavy Mustad stainless hooks, I think I will tie up a couple of the winter hope on them. If nothing else they may look good mounted on a piece of driftwood.