Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Braided line?  (Read 4824 times)

gmanfxp

Braided line?
« on: July 25, 2004, 10:15:31 AM »

Generally I fish with fairly light line to stick with smaller line diameters for feel and castability.

Braided would give more strength in the same line diameter but how is the feel and castability of braided lines??

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
Re:Braided line?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2004, 10:59:57 AM »

no strech, lotsa feel
no memory or stiffness= casts far.

gmoney

• I'm going to try to catch a fish!!
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2004, 11:27:50 AM »

also 2x or sometime 3x the price of mono.

otto

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2004, 11:34:06 AM »

ya, but lasts 2x to 3x longer!!!! and you can get double the strength in the same diameter that your using now!! (i got a braid from Germany, it is 200 LB test but only 30 lb test in diameter!!! ) i use it for casting a 1 oz weight over the "christmas trees" that have all the snagged tackle on them, bend the branch down, new spinners, couple floats etc etc et... ;D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2004, 11:47:21 AM »

One thing to keep in mind when using braids is to wind the line onto your reel TIGHT. Otherwise the braid will dig into the rest of the line.

Lew Chater

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2004, 03:28:50 PM »

Braided line needs special knots also as regular knots pull right through. Some people think the line is breaking as they lose tackle but it is just the knot slipping. A regular thumb nail knot or improved clinch knot won't usually do. I can't remember the name of the knot to use. Also, tackle shops usually put a few wraps of mono on the axle of the reel and then tie on the braided. This is to keep the braided from slipping. And the braided needs to go on tight because if you pull on a snag or fish, the thin diameter line pulls down into the rest of the line and the next time you fling that 2 oz BB, it only goes as far as the place the line has imbedded in the spool and away goes your BB as well as a huge birdsnest and braided line is really hard to untangle.
Fishing is not a matter of Life or Death... it's more important ~!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2004, 03:40:10 PM »

Palomar knot.  I use a double uni knot to connect my monofilament line to the Tuff XP and works just fine

joedavis

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2004, 10:45:45 PM »

Try the duncan loop to tie your braided line to the 3-way swivel. You can use it to tie your leader to the swivel as well. It's an excellent alternative to the improved cinch knot. Double surgeon's is also excellent.

http://www.killroys.com/knots/duncan.htm

I have always used this and have never lost a betty (or a fly).

TtotheE

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2004, 11:11:14 AM »

I use the "Skip's Clinch"(Skip Morris) which is just another pass of the tag through the final loop made of the improved clinch. Works well and haven't lost any to a slipping knot.

Regular improved clinch knot for the swivel to leader to hook.

Personal experience is that the thicker diameter mono doesn't clinch too well :P

And always check your leader and the mainline a feet or two above the weight for abrasion after a snag.  :)

I also find that if you "point" your rod in the direction of your line(as opposed to high sticking) you can "feel" the rocks, so there's no confusion between a snag and a fish, limiting those imaginary hook sets. Just make sure to reel slack in your line to 12oclock(slowly) in case you're casting upstream, that'll reduce snags.