Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bradley Smoker: Consistent temp in cold weather?  (Read 4984 times)

Animal Chin

Bradley Smoker: Consistent temp in cold weather?
« on: December 04, 2016, 02:09:16 PM »

Just want opinions from Bradley users. Thinking of upgrading to the smaller original (cheapest) Bradley. I assume you can set the temp in the smoker. Will it remain consistent even if it's cold and windy outside (Vancouver winter)? How many pucks do you guys use for a typical indian candy batch?

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
Re: Bradley Smoker: Consistent temp in cold weather?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 03:15:43 PM »

I use the digital model and yes you can control temp. Makes it great for different types of meat. I use it in my shed so can't comment on the wind part. Uses 3 pucks an hour

jimstone

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 01:44:11 PM »

Have one of the original Bradley smokers and to better control temperature when its cold out I made a jacket of Reflectec insulation and metal ducting tape. Bought supplies at H.D..Made it as one piece that slides right over the top with cutouts for temp. gauge and vent. Slides off easy when you want to open the door. Leave it on under the Bradley cover in the off season.

Tangles

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 02:51:48 PM »

I've used the original Bradley in as cold as -5 and it held temperature just fine, just have to crank up the heat a little more, but it worked great.

Ambassador

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 03:12:55 PM »

Have one of the original Bradley smokers and to better control temperature when its cold out I made a jacket of Reflectec insulation and metal ducting tape. Bought supplies at H.D..Made it as one piece that slides right over the top with cutouts for temp. gauge and vent. Slides off easy when you want to open the door. Leave it on under the Bradley cover in the off season.
I rigged up the box on my Little Chief to do the same. Works wonders on anything but a hot summer day.
"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown

Animal Chin

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2016, 03:26:07 PM »

I rigged up the box on my Little Chief to do the same. Works wonders on anything but a hot summer day.

I do the same thing with my little chief. I just replaced the element on it, but temps still don't seem as consistent as I remembered from when I first got it. Guy at Berry's told me it could be because of my use of an extension cord. I know nothing about wire gauge/current etc. 

Just looked at the Bradley site, seems it's the digital model which has the temp setting feature.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2016, 05:39:46 PM »

The original basic Bradley has a slide control for adjusting heat. No guage for it though like the digital.
I have owned both little chief and Bradley and they shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence.
For the occasional smoker  the Lil Chief is great and makes a great product but if you want to get into it a bit more and try different things as well as cooking on it the Bradley is hands down way more usefull.

I own the Original model and have had it for over 10 years now.
If and when it stops working I will more than likely purchase a digital model.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2016, 10:18:05 AM »

bradley smokers usually go on sale at canadian tire a few times a year. i picked up my digital model on sale for a $100 less the original price. being the holidays are right around the corner i would recommend waiting till they go on sale.