Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Casting 6 wt. vs 8 wt.  (Read 6351 times)

JBB

• I'm a llama!
Casting 6 wt. vs 8 wt.
« on: November 29, 2016, 01:04:48 PM »

I'm planning on going to the Florida Keys in the spring to fish for bonefish and redfish. A little research indicated that its necessary to be able to double haul an 8 or 9 wt. single handed. I can do the hauls with a 6 wt. and I'm wondering if I need to modify my casts in order to use the 8 wt. I don't want to buy an 8wt. setup to practise and I will be using the guides equipment in Florida
Man does not cease to play because he grows old ; he grows old because he ceases to play

typhoon

• Old Timer
Re: Casting 6 wt. vs 8 wt.
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2016, 01:11:10 PM »

Other than the rod having heavier swing weight and the aerialized line being heavier, there isn't much difference between a 6wt and an 8wt.
I find that the response rate (feel) and action (where the rod flexes) of the rod has a bigger impact on casting ability.
If you can double haul your 6wt you should be able to cast further with a comparably matched 8wt setup.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 07:55:03 AM »

What 6 wt rod do you have now? These days an 8 wt can feel more like a rod 1 or more weights less than typical rods from not many years ago or from budget rods.

Are you planning to buy new 8wt? If you are you will be able to spend some time with it and get comfortable with it.

Overall what Typhoon says is bang on. If you can double haul with a 6wt you should not experience much issue applying that skill to an 8 or a 9wt.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

JBB

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2016, 09:39:38 AM »

I don't plan on buying an 8 wt. before the trip. The 6 wts. I do have are pretty much entry level rods bought years ago. If I'm going to buy a new fly rod I will likely buy a better 6wt. for stillwaters. I have baitcaster , spey and centerpin outfits and I don't think I'd get much use out of a 8 wt. I may be able to borrow an 8/9 from someone to use for a week or so of practise. Thanks for your advice.
Man does not cease to play because he grows old ; he grows old because he ceases to play

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2016, 11:43:48 AM »

No need to buy or borrow an 8wt to practice. Take a clear intermediate sink tip and put it on your 6wt and cast it, keep casting it until you can get out close to the entire 100' of fly line then work on doing it with accuracy. Accuracy is usually more the problem over casting distance when chasing bones or other inshore species, misplaced cast could spook the entire school away.

I mention the sink tip because I'm fairly certain most lines used for those types of fishing are integrated sinking clear tip lines. Anything you can do with your 6wt will actually be easier to accomplish with an 8wt
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Sr SQ

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2016, 03:42:04 PM »

Your going to have fun, flats fishing is my all time favourite.

You may find it a bit harder if the rod speed you are given is much faster than the one you are used to but with a bit of practice you will figure it out but a 8wt will wear out your arm faster than a 6wt.

The toughest thing for me to deal with was casting in the wind, the flats are rarely dead calm so now I spend all my practice time casting on windy days.

Like Hook mentioned accuracy is more important than distance, your guide will generally get you within 40-60 before letting you cast,  Bones are incredibly weary so if your cast isnt where it needs to be, forget it. Once spooked you will be looking for new fish and some days their aren't a lot of opportunities.

I recommend practice casting on a windy day and move around so the wind is coming at you from different directions.

If you can hit a trash can lid at 70' in the wind regularly you will have great success.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2016, 08:54:54 AM »

I think a good portion of flats fishing is done with floating lines - the water is often just a few feet deep or shallower and flies are usually weighted with barbel eyes etc. I'd check with your guide. Also see if they can provide tackle. Most guides will and often there is no fee.

Also how much do you fly fish? Sounds like is something you do just from time to time. If so do get some practice and even perhaps a touch up lesson or 2. One hundred feet of line - easy to say less than easy to do. You might do it on grass on a calm day but be unable to in the field when you are excited and the wind is blowing from the wrong direction. I can't cast that far nor is there reason to do so most of the time.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 03:39:05 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Baxta

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2016, 02:11:34 PM »

I was in Belize last month, and am by no means an expert caster. 60' was about as far as I could get my fly out, and the only target that I suffered on was permit and that's because the schools were moving so fast. I landed 8 bones (including on my second cast of the day) and a baby tarpon, had a snook and a permit on. For me, the wind was the biggest factor. That and the tailing loops I kept throwing from applying pressure at the wrong point in my cast.

The weatherman is calling for wind to come in along with this cold snap. Get outside and practice in the wind!

Have fun and good luck!

Greg
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 02:13:18 PM by Baxta »

JBB

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2016, 07:22:43 PM »

I was in Belize last spring . I was fishing from a boat near the mangroves but had difficulty getting the distance to get to the larger bones. I caught lots of smaller ones casting blind in the channels . The guide told me that you can't false cast over the fish or they will spook. He showed me how to do a water haul ( line out floating, lift the rod and then double haul once to the fish. I was getting better at it . Thanks again for all the advice.