Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Public input sought on fishing regulation changes  (Read 4449 times)

turbine

Public input sought on fishing regulation changes
« on: November 18, 2016, 05:23:00 PM »

Public input sought on fishing regulation changes

"An oppor-TUNA-ty for British Columbians. BCers can comment on the proposed fishing regulation changes by Dec. 16. The proposal includes measures such as bait bans, hook restrictions, opening/closing dates and more."

https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2016FLNR0279-002401

mikeyman

Re: Public input sought on fishing regulation changes
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 06:22:32 PM »

Leader length restriction.

TacoChris

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 06:51:55 PM »

If am not mistaken they want input on proposed changes to individual rivers or lakes they have already identified. It looks like anything else is not on the table. 

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 07:00:44 PM »

I Got so confused following the links i gave up. Guess they don't want input

trootn

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2016, 07:17:47 PM »

I Got so confused following the links i gave up. Guess they don't want input
http://apps.nrs.gov.bc.ca/pub/ahte/angling

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2016, 07:32:39 PM »

http://apps.nrs.gov.bc.ca/pub/ahte/angling

Yeah I went there, Then clicked where it said proposed changes, then there were two other links, do i need to register or something to see the proposed changes it says there's over 50? Maybe someone can post them?

Okay nvm I think I get it each one its own proposed change thanks

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2016, 07:41:45 PM »

Submitted on November 10th 2016
Proposal Number:  7488
Region:
Region 8 - Okanagan
Regulation Type:
Season
Species:  All - Chinook Salmon
Closing Date:  Dec 16, 2016
Decision Statement:
Pending

Current Regulations:
The Shuswap River is open to fishing 50m upstream and 50m downstream of Trinity Bridge

Proposed Regulations:
Shuswap River - closed to angling 50m upstream and 50m downstream of Trinity Bridge between June 15-Nov 15

Rationale:
To protect migrating chinook salmon.

Trinity Bridge is located on the Lower Shuswap River and is a site known for illegal fishing activity.

Individuals snag fish, attempt to snag fish, make false statements to DFO officers, fail to record catch, and exceed daily, monthly and annual limits.

In 2014, fishing activity was observed on Trinity Bridge (Lower Shuswap River) over a 7 day period. Observations indicated not one fish was legally caught; all fish were snagged. Investigation resulted in 16 suspects, 212 violations and 123 counts of attempting to snag and providing false statements.

Wow now there's a gem

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2016, 02:44:49 PM »

Submitted on November 10th 2016
Proposal Number:  7488
Region:
Region 8 - Okanagan
Regulation Type:
Season
Species:  All - Chinook Salmon
Closing Date:  Dec 16, 2016
Decision Statement:
Pending

Current Regulations:
The Shuswap River is open to fishing 50m upstream and 50m downstream of Trinity Bridge

Proposed Regulations:
Shuswap River - closed to angling 50m upstream and 50m downstream of Trinity Bridge between June 15-Nov 15

Rationale:
To protect migrating chinook salmon.

Trinity Bridge is located on the Lower Shuswap River and is a site known for illegal fishing activity.

Individuals snag fish, attempt to snag fish, make false statements to DFO officers, fail to record catch, and exceed daily, monthly and annual limits.

In 2014, fishing activity was observed on Trinity Bridge (Lower Shuswap River) over a 7 day period. Observations indicated not one fish was legally caught; all fish were snagged. Investigation resulted in 16 suspects, 212 violations and 123 counts of attempting to snag and providing false statements.

Wow now there's a gem

Not even close to the damage that flossing on the Fraser does to Chinook stocks.

Speyfitter

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2016, 08:11:36 PM »

Anglers can not touch the devastation that fish farms, commercial fishing, pollution, logging,  dams, climate change, etc. etc. do to Chinook and other salmon stocks. We are not even 0.1% of the problem in that regard.

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2016, 04:58:04 PM »

Not even close to the damage that flossing on the Fraser does to Chinook stocks.

So the point is? Just because both of those things might be true, does not mean illegal activity should still be allowed.  In this instance, the region 8 fisheries biologist has identified a problem area and moved to rectify it, regardless of the significance to the overall scheme. 

If small motions like this take place, and increase in frequency they tend to add up over time.  Keep in mind these are adult Chinook that have survived the gauntlet and made it to the spawning grounds.  Each fish that is prevented from being illegally retained is another fish whose nutrients at the very least contribute to the overall health of the ecosystem, and at best spawn and contribute to the population of Chinook that return in the coming years.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 05:19:48 PM by clarkii »

pwn50m3 f15h3r

• What a great fish...
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2016, 09:45:45 PM »

Limit for rainbow trout at Walloper lake should be 15/20/25 or even unlimited for a while. That lake is overpopulated and would be better if the trout population were lower.
Someone was here

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2016, 06:57:02 AM »

Limit for rainbow trout at Walloper lake should be 15/20/25 or even unlimited for a while. That lake is overpopulated and would be better if the trout population were lower.

There are bigger fish to fry then a lake that is useful as a kid fishery

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2016, 07:14:47 AM »

For the information of some - they are looking on input on proposals, not for proposals themselves. Proposals put forward may include those that are Province wide and Region wide.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 07:28:01 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.