Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Better know than double surgeons?  (Read 14649 times)

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
Better know than double surgeons?
« on: October 26, 2016, 02:47:15 PM »

Hi,

Is there a better knot for tying your leader/Tippett to your butt section?

I was fishing with the the switchrod yesterday and kept having my leader snap off right at the surgeons knot next to the loop to loop connector at the butt.

This happened mostly from gentle snags on the bottom using an unweighted fly in shallow water. The line seemed to break really easy, seemingly way less tension than I would have expected would be needed to break line, especially as it was 14lb flouro.

colin6101

Re: Better know than double surgeons?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 08:55:05 PM »

A nail knot usually works better for me but it should be pretty hard to break 14lb flouro. I would say something is up with the line. I've bent decent hooks using 8lb flouro and nail knots without the line breaking.

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 10:18:38 PM »

Are you wetting the knot first and pulling it together slowly with every piece equal?  In other words make sure the line in the knots are nice and equal so one loop is not larger.  Might be affecting how it cinches down.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 11:09:02 PM »

Yep, I wet the line thorough and tighten gently and consistently. Using Berkley vanish. I wonder if it has a shelf life?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2016, 11:37:47 PM »

Berkley Vanish is the worst fluorocarbon on the market in my opinion. I threw my spool away.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2016, 07:54:47 AM »

Try the j-knot: http://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/j-knot

I've had trouble with Berkley Vanish as well. The double surgeon has to be tied exactly to hold it's strength and many find it's not as strong joining fluoro to mono or to fluoro. There is also a triple surgeon variation.

Also never ever tighten just the tag ends ( the little ends you nip or cut off) on the double surgeons as the knot is sure to fail if you do. Either pull on all 4 parts of just the main line or (standing parts is the correct knot term) to draw it tight.

I've done well with a simple barrel knot , sometimes also called a ligature knot.

Spend some time practicing and testing knots at home before you head out fishing. Make sure the knot is well lubricated before or as you pull tight and draw it slowly then test.  It pays off.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 07:58:39 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2016, 08:09:49 AM »

Berkley Vanish is the worst fluorocarbon on the market in my opinion. I threw my spool away.
x2. It's too sticky to get good clinching, even with lubrication.

ByteMe

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2016, 11:15:00 AM »

Double uni knot
There is more Bull S**T in fly fishing than in a Texas cattle yard
                                         Lefty Kreh

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2016, 03:57:31 PM »

Thanks folks...

Baxta

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2016, 04:27:53 PM »

Nobody's mentioned the blood knot? The first fly-fishing knot I learned... For me it works as long as the two pieces of line are similar sizes - when I get too far up the leader and it's twice as thick as the tippet, I struggle...

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2016, 07:20:57 PM »

The only drawbacks I see from some of those knots is that they are not loop to loop connections, which is highly a convenient system.

pwn50m3 f15h3r

• What a great fish...
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2016, 10:04:32 PM »

The only drawbacks I see from some of those knots is that they are not loop to loop connections, which is highly a convenient system.
I think that loop to loop knots are good in that you can switch lines easily, but I find that they are weaker and tangle easier than straight connections such as the blood knot.
Someone was here

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2016, 07:00:43 AM »

Never ever use loop to loops to connect tippet to tippet, that is asking for problems as the only way for the loop to work properly is to have a thick enough base that has good friction so the loop sits properly.  Another problem is the extra drag prevents the fly from sinking and the fly line hinges causing the tangles as mentioned easier but also reducing sensitivity to hits.

On another note with flouro to flouro or mono to mono blood is fine, flouro to mono however avoid blood knots and use surgeons.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2016, 09:04:32 AM »

Loop to loop connection of tippets to leader are recommended by many well known anglers such as Left Kreh. I agree with Clarkii's comments about possible drag both in the water and the air but it's not a big deal. Same issue with line to leader conections. I don't understand "the only way for the loop to work properly is to have a thick enough base that has good friction so the loop sits properly".

I've used them and they are mostly fine. I have used them as far down as 4x to 5x connection. You have to seat the loops properly or you'll get  knot that breaks easily.

It should look the top picture  not the bottom:

I have found that getting the tippet looped section off without cutting it can be a challenge. With thin tippets it was all but impossible for me - so best to use a knot. No harm in trying it out and it can make for a somewhat quicker tippet change.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 02:38:27 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2016, 09:52:42 AM »

I use double or triple surgeon knots for attaching tippet to leader all the time with great success.

I use loop to loop connection often when I can (fly line to leader or tip, tip to leader, etc) but prefer a direct connection from the leader to tippet.

I believe the berkley vanish is your problem, I have had similar issues and gave up on the spool. Infact, after using a lot of fluorocarbon in various situations, the only thing I really use flouro for anymore is tippet when chironomid fishing. In that scenario I believe its less visibility characteristic and that it doesn't float is an advantage with such small flies being staticly suspended. For just about everything else, I don't think it is much if any of an advantage, considering the cost and finickiness with knots, over mono. In my opinion, when swinging or stripping a fly, as long as your mono leader is appropriately sized, they don't have much time to see it.