Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cheakamus River Trout Fishing  (Read 1492 times)

Shmoke Shaman

Cheakamus River Trout Fishing
« on: October 20, 2016, 11:55:34 AM »

After receiving my 'Guide to the Freshwater Fishes of British Columbia' (great guide btw) I realized there are allot of freshwater species of fish I have yet to catch. So I have decided to go on a camping/fishing expedition with the wife to the Cheakamus River in search of Bull Trout and Cutthroat Trout. We are planing to go sometime in November and will be staying at one of the rv/campsites near by the river.
My intention is to seek, catch and eat the trout. The Region 2 synopsis states 'CHEAKAMUS RIVER 2-7 Bait ban; release all steelhead' and there is no mention of trout. I would assume the trout would fall under the 'General Restrictions' which are 

Trout/char: 4, but not more than
•    1 over 50 cm (2 hatchery steelhead over
50 cm allowed)
•    2 from streams (must be hatchery)
•    1 char (bull trout, Dolly Varden, or lake trout

But here is my confusion. On the http://www.whistlerhiatus.com/ website it states
'Cheakamus Lake has always been known for its good fishing so bring your rod and sit back in the sun.  The entire trail and mini beaches are south facing and capture the sun the entire day.  You can keep what you catch at Cheakamus Lake, however Cheakamus River is catch and release. For more details read the notice board located at the first main campsite area.'

I was wondering if anyone can clarify the restrictions for trout retention in the cheakamus river. I would assume the whistler website is incorrect but I would like a second opinion from my fellow fishermen/women before I head out for the expedition.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
Re: Cheakamus River Trout Fishing
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 12:05:28 PM »

In region 2 you must release all wild trout and char from streams and any hatchery trout or char under 30cm.

Shmoke Shaman

Re: Cheakamus River Trout Fishing
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 12:11:32 PM »

Thanks for the catch, I've must of left that part out.