Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Basic River Navigation and Rescue for Angler's  (Read 1757 times)

skitterbug

Basic River Navigation and Rescue for Angler's
« on: October 20, 2016, 08:05:20 AM »

In an effort to increase river navigation and self rescue knowledge for Angler's, I wrote another article for BC Outdoors Magazine(July/August issue). It now online, here's the link - http://www.bcoutdoorsmagazine.com/Basic-River-Navigation-and-Rescue-for-Anglers   

And here's a link to my first article if you missed it - http://www.bcoutdoorsmagazine.com/River_Navigation

I had to be very succinct, so if anyone has any questions about anything river related, let me know and I'll explain it in more detail.

Cheers,
Darren

CohoJake

• Old Timer
Re: Basic River Navigation and Rescue for Angler's
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 09:53:34 AM »

Thanks for this - these were both great reads on a rainy workday.  This advice is especially relevant to everyone who sets foot in the river, even if they are just wading:

"Avoiding Foot Entrapments

NEVER attempt to stand up in knee deep water in a strong current; there are lots of obstacles on the river bottom that can trap your foot. Ever get your foot jammed between a couple of rocks when walking on shore? If this happens in a strong current, the current can push you over and pin you there. This is a grave situation! It's extremely hard to rescue someone in this situation, and generally becomes a body retrieval. To avoid foot entrapments, wait until your bum is hitting the river bottom, then roll onto your front and crawl onto shore, or swim into an eddy and then climb up onto shore. Never stand up or put your feet down in the water unless it’s below your knees or the water is calm."

I've become very timid when it comes to wading, and this is exactly why.  A few years ago I was speaking with an old-timer on the river who happened upon an unfortunate angler who had become trapped just like this.  That's not something I ever want to find.

One thing you don't mention in either article are the hazards and etiquette in dealing with a very busy river - any advice for navigating through a run with dozens of anglers, or avoiding anglers who are wading in your path? 

« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 09:57:14 AM by WAfishboy »

skitterbug

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 10:51:49 AM »

Can you clarify what you mean by hazards?
When I use to kayak on the Chiliwack, I would go to the very far side of the river(opposite of the Angler) to avoid where they were fishing. The hazard was have disgruntled angler's attempt to hit you with their cast, even though you weren't in their fishing lane. Glad I has wearing a helmet! Some angler's forget that river are a shared resource for all!! If people are wading in the river and there's room behind them, I'll drift quietly behind them and say "Hi". If there's lots of angler's on both sides, pull over to shore and ask if it's ok if you float by or carry your boat around on shore.

And some people are going to be jerks regardless of how courteous you are.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 10:53:56 AM by skitterbug »

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 11:02:38 AM »

Maybe there aren't great solutions, or the answers are obvious, but, for instance, how do you respond when you drift into a run and you see an angler has a fish on?  Ever been clotheslined or hooked?

skitterbug

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 03:17:29 PM »

Row to the opposite side of the Angler, land on shore if possible and watch the show! Then carry on after the fish has been landed.

Speyfitter

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2016, 03:53:21 PM »

One thing you don't mention in either article are the hazards and etiquette in dealing with a very busy river - any advice for navigating through a run with dozens of anglers, or avoiding anglers who are wading in your path?

1 - Avoid the river entirely during Salmon season or drift more remote sections with less people (i.e. canyons), if possible. That's part of the point of it anyways (to get away from people, right? - but some like to drift for the sake of drifting to access those out of the way spots or stop and fish the other side of the river easier).  Never myself had an issue on a busy Sunday during Steelhead season in the upper parts of the Chilliwack (wouldn't drift the Vedder though - too many guys, too close proximity, not as much of a benefit to it, IMHO).

2 - Wear a GoPro on your helmet/hat. I think if people know they're on camera they're less likely to do something.

3 - If you are coming down a run and you observe the seam or area guys are fishing move away to another seam/area of the rapid/river.  Lots of times I'll go down the main wave train where they wouldn't be fishing (if possible) or the other side.  Float down the river like a log, if possible, where you make your oars out of the water and remain as still as possible.  If it's a distinct but smaller pool of the river and the angler is waded out into it and fishing where you can't really avoid his line, I will drift behind them and/or stop the boat and walk the boat around and behind them (and BS with them about fishing, etc. just to be friendly).

4 - Thank Anglers for letting you float through. Many of them are actually fairly respectful and can see the fun you are having and understand why you are doing it. Some have told me they wish they were doing it. The few who get upset thinking you're going to ruin the fishing don't know that the fish react to you like they react to any other piece of debris coming down river. I've caught fish many times shortly after Kayakers and/or rafters have gone through a run. 

Floating and fishing rivers is just a logistics solution to finding those out of the way harder to access (in many cases) spots much like driving from spot to spot and hiking in is another logistics solution.  I'm not going to get bent out of shape if a guy wants to put all the money towards buying the boat, dealing with the shuttle and logistics to do a drift, some investment in training/safety gear (whether through the school of hard knocks and/or a course of some sort), and put their life potentially on the line to access out of the way water - good on them. It gets guys out fishing, enjoying rivers, helps the economy and can put guys into fish which is the whole point of the sport anyways.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 03:56:25 PM by Speyfitter »