Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Latest Albion numbers???  (Read 4379 times)

swimmingwiththefishes

Latest Albion numbers???
« on: October 18, 2016, 09:42:47 PM »

So the Albion and DFO sites have been down for some time. Any insider info on the latest numbers? If this is going to be a longterm issue can we at least get weekly updates? Maybe on this thread.

canso

• Old Timer
Re: Latest Albion numbers???
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 09:48:08 PM »

So the Albion and DFO sites have been down for some time. Any insider info on the latest numbers? If this is going to be a longterm issue can we at least get weekly updates? Maybe on this thread.

Really good numbers of chum and coho.  go fishing, it's on

Dfo is unleashing the commie fleet.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 09:33:16 AM »

Current in-season chum salmon estimate for the Lower Fraser is 1.55 million fish, which is significantly higher than the 800k escapement goal, so in the next couple of weeks, you most likely will see commercial and FN net openings. Fisheries are being planned right now. I'll post up the opening times since DFO's system is down right now. Best to plan your Lower Fraser River fishing trips on days when these nettings are not happening.

swimmingwiththefishes

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 04:14:07 PM »

Hey Rodney can you tell your DFO friends why they are giving the Thompson River Steelhead no conservation priority like they did for interior Coho while your at it;)???

Sorry had to get that frustration out. Just a shame the state of things.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016, 05:28:38 PM »

I have no friends... ;D

skitterbug

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2016, 06:44:57 PM »

I have no friends... ;D

You have something in common with the Thompson River Steelhead then.  :-[

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2016, 06:46:43 PM »

Here's the little write-up from the department:

Fraser River Chum Update

In-season estimates of abundance for Fraser River chum are based on catch information provided by the Albion test fishery. Using Albion test fishery data through October 17th, the current median estimate for the terminal Fraser River chum return is 1.55 million chum, with a 50% migration date of October 17th.  There is an 80% probability that the run is between 1.036 and 2.362 million, and a 98% probability that the run will exceed the escapement goal of 800,000.

The current run size is sufficient to allow for commercial opportunities in the Fraser River.  Additional information on available Commercial TAC and commercial fisheries planning details will be provided via separate fishery notices.

Opportunities to harvest chum salmon will be constrained by management objectives for Interior Fraser steelhead which is a stock of concern presently co-migrating in the Fraser River.  Harvest opportunities in commercial fisheries, including First Nation economic opportunity fisheries, will be planned to minimize impacts on these stocks, as outlined in the 2016 South Coast Salmon Integrated Fisheries Management Plan (IFMP). Fishers are required to take every measure possible to ensure that their fishing activities avoid impacts on steelhead.  Any steelhead encountered must be released with the least possible harm. 

While no additional in-season updates are planned at this time, we will continue to closely monitor chum catch at the Albion test fishery over the coming days. Should new data indicate the need to update the current run size and timing estimate, additional updates will be provided.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2016, 08:14:01 PM »

Good to see them even mentioning Interior Steelhead.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2016, 11:34:28 PM »

Is this commercial chum fishery selective? That is, not gill-netting but something which they can sort out the unintended species unharmed. Can the steelhead, wild coho or coho in general be hurt by this commercial fishery? If they catch hatchery coho, do they have to release it? Just want to know if tidal Fraser bar fishing for coho is going to be affected big time.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2016, 10:02:38 AM »

It will probably be gill netting (like the test fisheries) as seining is pretty tough in the river.

They can control the catch somewhat with the size of the mesh.

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2016, 10:13:32 AM »

It will probably be gill netting (like the test fisheries) as seining is pretty tough in the river.

They can control the catch somewhat with the size of the mesh.
The FN commercial opening specified beach seining.  I don't know about the non-FN opening.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2016, 10:30:25 AM »

The economic openings for FNs occur in the non-tidal portion of the Fraser and it's done by beach seining. The ones happening in the Tidal Fraser are all gill nets.

mcallagan

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2016, 03:53:29 PM »

The Albion test Fishery site is back up.

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/fraser/docs/commercial/albionchinook-quinnat-eng.html

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2016, 08:07:00 PM »

How does one know when there's a commercial netting day?

I'm trying to rally some troops for bar fishing on Saturday, I'd hate for that to,be an exercise in futility...