Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Just for Chris... First report in years  (Read 9149 times)

Every Day

• Old Timer
Just for Chris... First report in years
« on: October 03, 2016, 08:40:06 PM »

I've been fishing the Vedder most nights and a few mornings. From what I've experienced, the evening has been the better bite, so I skipped the morning and fished this evening.

Had lots of errands to run, so I didn't finally leave the house until 6. Arrived at my spot at 6:45 after the drive and walk in. This spot has been very good to me this year. It's only around 3 feet deep, but has a couple logs, big rocks and some chop on top. Most guys walk by it, in fact I still haven't seen another angler there.

I baited up with a small chunk (thumb nail size) of roe onto my size 4 hook that was tied to a 2 foot long, 6 pound fluorocarbon leader. I had previously been using my standard 16 inch 10 pound flourocarbon leader, but have found much better luck now on lighter gear.

First cast, float hammered down and a flash and roll signals a Coho. I eventually glide the chrome doe into the shallows. She's a hatchery around 8-9 pounds. Gear way to start the night. 2 casts later I see a dozen fish swim in. I miss a hit right away. After That I go 5 casts without a float down. I decided to change to a prawn and miss another hit. Next cast after a re-bait, I hooked and landed a 5 pound buck in as nice of shape as the first. I end up missing 3 more float downs on roe with one more brief hookup and roll before it's too dark to see by 7:20. Good half hour of fishing - it's never too late in the day to go make a couple casts!

Cheers,
Dan

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
Re: Just for Chris... First report in years
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 10:52:31 AM »

Awesome report. Just enough of a teaser to get the blood pumping, and just enough tips slipped in for those who are willing to try something new.

Thanks Dan. :)

NothingToSnagAbout

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2016, 11:44:41 AM »

Nice report, ED. You tend to go for the smaller hooks in general?

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2016, 11:42:38 PM »

Nice report, ED. You tend to go for the smaller hooks in general?

I quite often use up to size 1's, but I never go bigger than that. As soon as water anywhere gets low and clear I drop to size 4's with bait. On the island I mostly use 1's with pink worms and spoons. All my jig hooks are the size 1's also. Anything bigger just hurts the fish and gives them more leverage to pop off.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2016, 04:26:41 PM »

Thanks Dan for writing one of your interesting posts, too bad that more that used to write donot. Even Rod seldom writes a fishing report here either, but busy with 2 children I guess. Wait until he has 7 grandchildren like me with number 8 on the way.

Looking forward to get back fishing as have been on a week hunting trip.

Time to write the journal again soon. ;D ;D

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2016, 06:18:46 PM »

C’mon Chris, you must realize that the more fishing reports are posted, the more anglers will show up.  I know you’re fine with that, but most anglers, especially locals, think otherwise.
Glad I stopped fishing … crowds were a huge part of that decision, along with the incredible lack of respect shown returning salmon.

Spoiler posted earlier about the “fishery” at the abutment, just downstream of the Vedder bridge.  The fish in this pool are trapped until the water level rises and their stress level must be off the chart.  Anyone looking for a poor example of sportsmanship and disgusting angling ethics should take a look.

fish4fun

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2016, 09:01:45 PM »

Why are you on this site if you don't fish? For those of us that still do it's quite helpful to learn techniques from the experienced and more cheerful anglers on here. Maybe its time to move on.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2016, 09:46:12 PM »

;D 
Because I don't fish any more means I can't comment?
Most likely I have fished the Vedder longer than you have lived. Give your head a shake.
I have moved on to different forms of fishing enjoyment, mainly habitat restoration for the fish you apparently want to catch and garbage cleanups on  the river you fish.
I always advocate for the fish and am disgusted in what this river has turned into. If that bothers you don't read my posts.

Bingbamboom

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2016, 12:29:16 AM »

I have enjoyed the privilege of fishing on the Vedder River for many years now. This morning I had the pleasure of talking to a gentleman who brought up Dave's name and all the incredible things he has done. To say I was astounded would be an understatement.Although I have never met Dave, but through this site and the example set by people like Dave, I have become a much more conscienceous angler. Because of Dave,  I have learned many things. I have learned how to fish ethically , keep the river clean by picking up garbage every time I go out , and enjoy the many stories shared by other angler concerning what Dave is doing to preserve and protect this vital resource. I certainly understand Dave's frustration on some of the practices I see perpetrated by others who perhaps may not know better. I find that practicing and setting a better example , by deeds not words , might be a slow but worthwhile endeavour. I still have a lot to learn, but I am inspired by what Dave is doing ,and hope to follow his example.

spoiler

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2016, 06:39:35 AM »

X2 Bingbangboom!
Dave has put back way more into the sport of fishing than he has ever taken!
Add up all the years he devoted to the Cultus Lake Sockeye and river restoration and clean up projects and I doubt you will find anyone who would match him other than maybe Buck!
Plus he is probably the top rod builder in the valley.
Hoping I'm not making your head too big Dave but I for one really appreciate all you have done on my home river!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2016, 05:47:38 PM »

X2 Bingbangboom!
Dave has put back way more into the sport of fishing than he has ever taken!
Add up all the years he devoted to the Cultus Lake Sockeye and river restoration and clean up projects and I doubt you will find anyone who would match him other than maybe Buck!
Plus he is probably the top rod builder in the valley.
Hoping I'm not making your head too big Dave but I for one really appreciate all you have done on my home river!
Now if we can just get him to join in to save wild salmon from the fish farms, sorry low blow on my part. :-[

Dave has also been a major help with the Chilliwack Vedder River Cleanup  Society when in 2002  Rod, Lew,Terry and I started the CVRCS then, I think he joined in a few years after that and still carries that on after the rest of us recently retired. ;)

Going out to the river now as just back from a week of hunting, will file a report later.

It does not matter if people file positive fishing reports from this system as it is always crowded at this time of year and one sees people on the phone giving updates all the time these days. I have an hour left to fish but the "Hot Spot" is only 5 minutes from my house. ;D ;D ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2016, 08:04:44 PM »

;D 
Because I don't fish any more means I can't comment?
Most likely I have fished the Vedder longer than you have lived. Give your head a shake.
I have moved on to different forms of fishing enjoyment, mainly habitat restoration for the fish you apparently want to catch and garbage cleanups on  the river you fish.
I always advocate for the fish and am disgusted in what this river has turned into. If that bothers you don't read my posts.
Dave you must be getting old, time for you to join the "Long Table" every morning where all problems are solved. ;D ;D

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2016, 04:47:47 PM »

Why are you on this site if you don't fish? For those of us that still do it's quite helpful to learn techniques from the experienced and more cheerful anglers on here. Maybe its time to move on.
17 posts on this forum and you take on one of the most prominent ambassadors of the resource? A person who has probably forgotten more about fishing and fisheries than most of us will ever learn?
Give your head a shake, fish4fun. Maybe it will help you not to come across as an entitled ignorant prick next time you post.

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2016, 05:41:27 PM »

Is this the same "Dave" that was part of the CRAC that applied for funding from PSF for the installation of groynes at the Slesse Creek clay banks?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2016, 05:42:30 PM »

Is this the same "Dave" that was part of the CRAC that applied for funding from PSF for the installation of groynes at the Slesse Creek clay banks?

No that's Dave Lamson.