Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help me destroy my family  (Read 4969 times)

mdc8427

Help me destroy my family
« on: September 26, 2016, 06:11:41 PM »

Every thanks giving weekend we go up to loon lake for fishing. Yes there is a trophy involved.   Most fish in 2 days.   Everyone trolls the lake however everyone uses wedding bands lucky bugs ect....I just use flies and a fly rod.  Slow and deep? Pumpkin heads??? Scuds???? Help me destroy these old salty dogs    will post a pick of me with the trophy when victorious.     This may be considered cheating  but they use worms so fuckem.

Animal Chin

Re: Help me destroy my family
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 09:20:07 PM »

Others with more experience may help, but in lakes I seem to catch everything with olive green leeches with a bit of weight on the bead. 3-5 ft fluorocarbon leader, type 3 full sink line, either trolling slowly (guessing how deep fish are) or casting letting it sink for a while and stripping.. I'm no pro though.

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 09:43:21 PM »

It's tuff to compete with gear and bait.  We have a fishing derby at Roche lake every year, I was tired of the old farts and that stupid Ford fender winning every year.

I had to move over to the dark side and troll flatfish and bingo bugs on my fly rod.

But

The only thing in my arsenal that can compete with a fender is "slow death hook" and worm, 30' of 8lb leader and full sink line all the way out.

http://youtu.be/S6AwW11SlAA

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 03:03:19 PM »

Find weed edges (submerged or lilly pads) and drop offs.

Set up "Chironmid style", indicator - small swivel - small baitholder hook- worm. 

Try all depths starting from a foot off bottom til you get it dialed.  If you don't get bite in 15 mins, move.

If you are solo in a boat, do one line with bait, on the other rod keep switching up the chironomid.  If you happen to get it dialed, the chironomid will outperform the worm. 

Or the opposite will happen.  You will get so much action on the meat line that you give up on even using the chironimid all together.

Beware, lots of 'gut hooks' with this set up, so use a long shaft hook.

You owe me a 15 pack of PBR.

m@nx

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2016, 08:56:31 AM »

It's been many years since I went to Loon Lake in the Fall, but Green Spratelys used to work great there in the cooler weather.