Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Centerpin Vs Baitcaster  (Read 7252 times)

kingcutties47

Centerpin Vs Baitcaster
« on: September 25, 2016, 09:23:35 PM »

With fall and winter fishing picking up soon, i would like to buy a setup to do so. I am planning on fishing for coho, chum, spring, and steelhead in the future. I can only really often fish relatively close rivers to Vancouver such as the Squamish, Capilano, Mamquam and maybe even the Vedder from time to time because i am only 15 and need to rely on my parents to drive me.
  I am still fairly novice to river fishing, however have been fly fishing lakes and lots of saltwater fishing experience. While i want to get into river fishing, i will need a new setup. I am not sure whether to get a center-pin or a bait-casting setup for float fishing. I had a brand new shimano convergence 10 foot 6 (10-25 lbs) mooching rod given to me, and not sure if that would work with a center-pin reel. I would appreciate and suggestions and opinions on this and even any recommendations for stores to buy the gear from would be great.

Thanks

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Centerpin Vs Baitcaster
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 10:59:36 PM »

If I'm not mistaken the Convergence is designed to be used with a baitcaster.

awyisss

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 02:17:06 AM »

If its the mooching rod it'll work with a centerpin. i'm actually using a convergence mooching rod with my centerpin right now. Despite it being a bit heavier than an actual pin rod, its quite comfortable to cast.

If you want to get a baitcasting reel, sure you could use it on the convergence mooching rod in a pinch, but i wouldnt recommend it. It'll be pretty tiring because the butt section (the part of the handle below the reel seat) is quite short and there is no "trigger" on the backside of the reel seat. The trigger makes it a lot more comfortable to cast and fight fish because its a lot more stable in your hand.

Also, when you fish a casting rod the eyelets are facing up, and when you fish a mooching or centerpin rod the eyelets are down. So technically if you were to fight a fish on a mooching rod with a casting reel on it, the rod would be bending in the opposite direction that it was intended to. Im not too sure how crucial that last point is though, just some food for thought.

Id recommend to buy your gear from one of the local tackle shops, Sea Run in coquitlam, Pacific angler in Vancouver, Berrys in Richmond. Theres a couple other ones but those ones come to mind first, consult google to find one close to you. I'd stay clear of army and navy or canadian tire for things like rods/reels. Not that they dont know their stuff, or they wont have the inventory, but you can't guarantee that the guy(s) who are knowledgable about local fishing techniques/gear will be working when you decide to pop in. The staff at the local tackle shops will definitely be able to steer you in the right direction and get you out on the water.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 02:30:56 AM by awyisss »

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 12:41:20 PM »

I am not sure whether to get a center-pin or a bait-casting setup for float fishing. I had a brand new shimano convergence 10 foot 6 (10-25 lbs) mooching rod given to me, and not sure if that would work with a center-pin reel.

The Convergence actually comes in several styles (casting, mooching, spinning etc) but as mentioned above, if it's the mooching model then it will be suitable for a centrepin. If you want to use a levelwind, then you'll want a rod with a trigger reel seat.

As for which is better, it's really just comes down personal preference though. There are pros and cons to both and you'll probably need to spend significant time with each platform before you can truly say which one works best for you. If you stick with river fishing you'll probably end up with both setups eventually...

losos

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2016, 05:43:20 PM »

" I'd stay clear of army and navy or canadian tire for things like rods/reels. Not that they dont know their stuff, or they wont have the inventory, but you can't guarantee that the guy(s) who are knowledgable about local fishing techniques/gear will be working when you decide to pop in. The staff at the local tackle shops will definitely be able to steer you in the right direction and get you out on the water."

When for sure local fishing stores have knowledgable staff A&N guys know a thing or two about fishing too. One of their employees opened own fishing store called First Light in Burnaby if I remember correctly. Bought my first baitcasting setup from A&N granted I did do research beforehand.

Animal Chin

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2016, 12:03:37 AM »

Get a centerpin for float fishing, I have an Okuma Adventa VT-1002 and quite like it. Spool it with 17lb Stren Mono (cheap and good). It's not a huge investment and since it's often mentioned as a "starter" reel, you'll recoup most of your cost on here should you decide to upgrade or go in another direction (I have no desire). 

I have a really nice levelwind/baitcaster setup, but find myself using the pin most of the time. Some say you can also use levelwind to cast lures, but I found I never really did (cause it kinda sucks for that) and sometimes also bring a spinning setup.

IMO, for river gear fishing goods, I'd go to SeaRun Tackle on Austin in Coquitlam and talk to Andrew or Cody (just guys I know, others in shop are likely just as nice). 

Good luck bro... and casting a pin with weight to balance 20g - 35 g floats (what is used here) is super easy. I just do this cast, he calls it the "BC Swing Cast".. I'm sure it's real cool, but I've never had to learnt to do the "wallace cast" or other ones that are all over the internet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNAUHV1qAk8

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2016, 06:46:31 AM »

Mechanically, bait casters offer faster retrieves & longer casts. They also require more maintenance. Centre-pins are a simpler design & easy to clean and service. They are best suited to shorter (under 50 feet) casts. They offer a more direction connection to bait or lure and to the fish when you've got one on. Both types have a learning curve for anglers switching from spinning reels, centre pins more so by a small margin.
Baitcasters have a real drag - many cps don't have a drag at all and the user has to control the reel with their hands.

I think B-C is likely a better choice for a less experienced angler.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Shinny

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2016, 11:03:13 AM »

I got into the CP game last year. Picked up a used islander steelheader for $250.. Good condition, really should last a lifetime unless I damage it.

I was recommended this as a good entry level rod....

http://www.amundson.ca/gfishingrods/29

Cheapest place was A&N for the rod. For the price you can't go wrong. I snapped the tip doing something stupid and I went down to Amundons office in delta and they gave me a replacement half rod for free....can't beat that customer service. Another friend has an old version of this rod and the cork was all worn out, Amundons sold him the bottom half of a new rod for cost... I got the rod for $120 on sale... Just my 2c's

Best of luck.