Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Eric Carlisle  (Read 5992 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Eric Carlisle
« on: September 25, 2016, 08:52:16 AM »

It is with great regret to inform you all that Eric Carlisle has passed away early this morning. Not only many of us in the sportfishing community have lost a friend, we have lost a very dedicated, knowledgable advocate. I was first introduced to Eric when I read his book "West Coast river angling" in the mid 90s while trying to figure out how to fish on the capilano River. When Fishing with Rod was started in 2001, we met in person while we volunteered at Seymour Salmonid Society's Rice Lake family fishing day. Over the years, we always met at this event and he became quite influential on the evolution of my work. During most summer mornings, you could find Eric casting away at the Capilano River mouth. He loved exchanging fishing stories and always had time assisting anyone who wishes to learn about fishing. He was also very involved in fishing related issues by sitting on the board of various groups including Seymour Salmonid Society and British Columbia Federation Of Drift Fishers. He will be dearly missed.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Eric Carlisle
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 09:17:27 AM »

Sad news. I never met Mr Carlisle but remember his many articles in local fishing magazines such Western Fishing and Wildlife which later became Western Angling. His articles clearly exhibited his expertise but still gave the impression he thought of himself as an average fisherman like everyone else.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 09:41:10 AM »

That is terrible news. I've known him for a number of years and I respect his work in the fishing community. RIP Eric

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2016, 01:46:33 PM »

I'm very sorry to hear that. Like you Rod, Eric's book "West Coast River Angling" was the first book I purchased when I settled in BC in the early 90's and wanted to learn how to fish for salmon. His book heavily influenced my early fishing years.

Back in the 1990's he wrote a fishing column for the Vancouver Sun. This was before the days of the internet so I regularly clipped his column for future reference; and I still have them. 

In those early days, I fished the Cap a lot and ran into him a few times on the beach and at Keith Road pools. I wrote about one of the those encounters in my journal.

Aug 7, 1993: Fishing the Cap at dawn on incoming tide just following low slack...Even got a chance to talk to the demi-god Eric Carlisle. I've been keeping an eye out for him. When I told him that his book was helpful, his companion asked if I had caught any fish. I said, "No, it didn't work that well" We laughed.

Thank you Mr. Carlisle.

Scott

c-pin

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2016, 03:47:44 PM »

Sad news. Eric and I would always chat when fishing the Ambleside spot. I even saw him at his "secret" hole on the Squamish, we were as surprised as each other that we were both there.

He was always up for a chat and he was an absolute encyclopedia of various salmon run statistics over the years.

A real gentleman.
Wild Salmon are like Wild Women .... Fun to Catch and Mighty Tasty

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2016, 06:59:30 PM »

I first met Eric when we were both young Directors of the Steelhead Society of BC, back in the early 70’s.  The SSBC was having a meeting on Vancouver Island, at then President Barry Thornton’s house in Comox, I think it was.  Both of us travelled to the Island with Secretary Cal Woods, as fine a man as was ever made. 
The next day after the meeting, Barry took us all to his favorite river, the Oyster, where Eric and I being the young and super keen angling bucks, covered far more water than the older, more experienced, and definitely more patient senior directors ( gawd, wish I could remember them all but I think Dr. Joe Sladen was there, along with Jim Culp and Peter Broomhall)  Well, as expected we caught more fish than the others and we felt pretty damn smug about that … till the next day when we had a few hours to fish before catching the ferry back to the mainland.   Barry took us a single, long run in the lower river, where Eric and I were properly schooled by these seasoned and oh so skilled anglers!  We were humbled, to say the least!

Later on, Eric, Cal and I fished the Cheakamous and Squamish twice, and they both came to fish my home river, the Vedder, a few times.  Good times with good people.
Last time I saw Eric was perhaps 3 years ago when Lew Chater and I met him in the upper Chilliwack River when we were looking for garbage for a river cleanup.  He was fishing for summer chinooks and after greetings, showed us a photo of a huge wild summer steelhead he had caught and released from the Seymour River just recently … the look on his face showing us that picture reminded me of him on the Oyster so many years ago. :)

Great memories, and RIP Eric.

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2016, 09:27:11 AM »

Very sad news. Our angling community has lost one of its greatest champions, and going to board meetings for the SSBC just won't be the same without seeing his big smile as he transcribed the arguments, discussions, and laughter into the minutes.

speycaster

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2016, 12:51:36 PM »

There is a certain rock on the Cap that has a tear on it,  :'( it has lost a good friend as have I. I first met Eric back in the late sixties when i had the temerity to stand on that rock. ;D

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2016, 06:11:52 PM »

Would often meet Eric fishing a certain North Shore River in the late 80s. He had a sense of humour. One time I was out with my brother when he noticed Eric just upstream from us and said loudly look it's Eric Carlise to me. Well Eric heard him and said to us, I should start wearing a disguise. He was hard to miss with that long beard. Dude was a great fisherman. Saw him catch many a fish on a spoon. RIP.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2016, 08:20:56 PM »

Would often meet Eric fishing a certain North Shore River in the late 80s. He had a sense of humour. One time I was out with my brother when he noticed Eric just upstream from us and said loudly look it's Eric Carlise to me. Well Eric heard him and said to us, I should start wearing a disguise. He was hard to miss with that long beard. Dude was a great fisherman. Saw him catch many a fish on a spoon. RIP.

And that roe stained fishing vest and the cork on the fishing rod. I kid him a lot about it. His response was "it's a waste of laundry soap" :)