Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bears on the Vedder  (Read 8327 times)

Every Day

• Old Timer
Bears on the Vedder
« on: September 24, 2016, 08:21:59 AM »

Has anyone else noticed a significant increase the past 2 years for bear presence out on the Chilliwack/Vedder? I never use to see many, but I've been seeing them with fairly regular frequency lately.

Last year I ran into 5 different ones, and I only fished maybe a dozen trips total. All of them but one were a somewhat decent distance off and ran right away. All of them were way upriver (above Allison), and all were healthy looking.

This year I've only fished twice. The other night at prison run I nearly walked in between a mom with two cubs. For whatever reason I didn't clue in at first and thought they were someone's dogs. All three of them treed. What was concerning is that none of the three seemed very concerned about me until I was right on top of them. They seem to be very human habituated as far as tolerance goes (mom didn't show any aggressive behavior despite being less than 20 ferry away), and the mom doesn't look good at all (quite small and very skinny). The babies were super tiny too, much smaller than I'm used to seeing at this time of year.

A friendly reminder to pick up your garbage in that area, and have control over your dogs early morning on your walk in. Hopefully it was a one off and they stay away from there as more people start going out fishing this fall, otherwise I could see them becoming a problem.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 08:24:14 AM by Every Day »

bobby b

Re: Bears on the Vedder
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2016, 10:48:03 AM »

Maybe just coincidence or ....but i wondering the same.

I have seen bears on almost every river I have fished recently ...... 

One was a bit too close for comfort. .....http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=40217.0

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2016, 12:15:31 PM »

I can't think of many rivers I fish in the valley where bear sign and even sightings hasn't gone up dramatically in the last 10 to 15 years. Also bears often don't seem concerned with the presence of people. Carry bear spray if it worries you - I often do, particularly in fall.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2016, 01:10:27 PM »

Bumped into a mom with her two cubs yesterday just under the slides.

243Pete

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2016, 04:40:19 PM »

Me and a buddy watched a mother and two cubs run across the road down to Allison pool a couple days ago, I wonder if maybe she is feeding on some of the fallen fruit and garbage in the area?

tim3500

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2016, 05:16:09 PM »

Bears start to show up once the salmon hit the river havent seen too many all summer but Were I live we have 3 resedent bears and one with cubs see her every third or forth  day yesterday a cougar showed up at the corner they leave people alone

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2016, 05:54:54 PM »

Too many bears on the river this year guys, best to avoid it. ;)

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2016, 06:42:48 PM »

No Sockeye - must catch bear.

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2016, 06:52:53 PM »

Friends saw probably the same bear and two cubs between Allison and the slides again today.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 01:01:37 AM by BCfisherman97 »

dobrolub

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2016, 07:45:17 PM »

More bears than fish. Bearly any fish.

Tylsie

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2016, 09:41:23 PM »

The bears were always there. There is a resident grizzly not too far from the river if you know where to look. But I agree, the population has exploded. It doesn't bother me, I like seeing them. But for a lot of people it isn't so enjoyable.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2016, 08:58:22 AM »

Sounds like some of you guys are bumping into the same sow and Cubs. Most black bears are so dumb they should wear helmets. But the sow and Cubs you must be weary. Don't be shy and make lots of noise while walking through trails make yourself known it's the best way for the Bears to be alerted that a human is coming.

TimL

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2016, 09:43:09 AM »

Most black bears I've seen don't seem interested in confronting people. I'm more concerned about the ones that are habituated to people and have become dependent on human associated garbage for food. These ones have lost their fear of humans and can become aggressive. There was an incident earlier this summer on a well used trail near the Coquitlam river of a father and daughter being attacked by a mother bear. Apparently the 10 yr old girl unknowingly got between the mom and cub and she was dragged into the bushes and mauled. Mom was shot dead by the CO and girl was badly injured and had to be hospitalized. There were garbage bins along the trail that have been periodically raided by bears. Anyway best be wary, make lots of noise, bring bear spray and fish with a buddy, if possible.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 09:44:52 AM by TimL »

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2016, 01:31:55 PM »

Best for everyone to just stick to fishing the KWB to avoid conflicts. All the fish aren't getting past there with this low water anyways.

SilverChaser

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2016, 09:03:46 PM »

Interesting you guys bring this up... the guys over on Hunting BC have been talking about huge increases in Black Bear numbers all over the province and rumour was that the province was going to change the Black Bear bag limit from 2 a year to 3 a year (Not that it would do much to populations)
Freestone Fly Co Ambassador
Halieus Outdoors Team Member