Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Baitcaster reel advice for a Trophy XL hand me down?  (Read 4741 times)

NothingToSnagAbout

Baitcaster reel advice for a Trophy XL hand me down?
« on: September 23, 2016, 10:35:57 AM »

I’ve inherited a Trophy XL rod and need to pair it with a new reel for rivers. I’ve fished a little with a low profile and rather enjoyed it. Gonna try to take out a round reel for a day to compare. Wondering what you baitcasters prefer and why? The few people I’ve asked are pretty fanatical about the Ambassadors. And it seems like the low profiles cost a little more for equal quality. Any other advantages for the round? Line capacity and retrieval, I guess?

DanL

• Old Timer
Re: Baitcaster reel advice for a Trophy XL hand me down?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2016, 11:20:24 AM »

Line capacity is the biggest advantage with the tradeoff of increased weight. Though IMHO it’s mostly unnecessary to carry that much line, depending on the fisheries you participate in. 100yds is plenty for coho fishing, for sturgeon you’ll probably want more.

Also depending on your needs, the reels with the most powerful drags will be the traditional round ones.

Retrieval rate is not that different as far as I know as low profiles sport big gear ratios too.

Ergonomics will be different too and you will probably come to develop a preference of how the low-profile vs round reel fits in your hand.

As for brands, they all have their fans, though the overall quality is pretty good now across the board for the major manufacturers. The Calcutta would be my weapon of choice but if you stick to the popular make/models like Ambassador, Calcutta, Luna etc and I doubt you’ll be disappointed. Those Trophy XL rods come in different weights so it will make sense to match it with a proper size reel too.

ShaunO

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2016, 02:15:21 PM »

In my personal opinion, the basic "go to" reel for a 10'6" trigger rod for local water is the Abu Garcia Ambassador 6500 C3.  Cost effective for the quality.  Solid drag system, easy to maintain and simple to use.  I'm sure everyone has pros and cons about this reel, but for me, its the default choice. 

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2016, 04:20:39 PM »

I have 3 x 6500s - the main one has significant upgrades.
I have two with braid for springs/chum/sox, one with mono for Coho/steelhead.

I also have a Shimano - in addition to the expensive Calcutta, they also produce a Corvalus around $120.
Nice looking and working reel - I had a Calcutta but wore it out - don't see much difference.

losos

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2016, 05:05:54 PM »

Nowadays  you can get low profile baitcaster with comparable drag and spool capacity. I prefer my Curado 300 to 6500 C4. There are also low profiles that have lower gear ratio such as  Toro Winch for a bigger fish.
Main thing is to go on the internet and do your homework. I'd find reels that will fit my requirements spec. wise and then ask guys from fishing forums about their experience with chosen models.

hrenya

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2016, 06:53:25 PM »

I have two with braid for springs/chum/sox, one with mono for Coho/steelhead.
bb ?

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2016, 07:12:10 PM »

What's the line rating on the Trophy XL? What's the rod length? Which rivers do you plan to use it on? What type of rod is it?

I like Trophy rods - always had good luck with them (quality wise) but as with most other rod makers, there are many lengths and line ratings.

The rod I would use in the Fraser is not the rod I would use in the Vedder - same with the reels for those rods. Rod and reel need to balance each other and the river(s) you'll fish.

And the reel needs to feel good to your hand when its on the rod.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2016, 08:58:46 PM »

Shimano Calcutta
your welcome..... :)

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2016, 10:29:02 PM »

If this is a Vedder class rod 8-15# then an Abu C3 or C4 in a 5500 is just fine.
If it's the heavier or Fraser sockeye class rod 12-25# then go C4 6500
If its a Fraser Spring class rod then go Abu 7000 - but this is no good in the Vedder.

Calcutta is the Cadillac of levelwinds and is value overkill for a Trophy XL rod.

Calcutta is a significant investment in a levelwind reel but it won't make you feel the fish take any better than a lesser valued reel like the Abu. If you go with a Calcutta, you sort of want that high end stuff on a nice Sage or Loomis rod.

Trophy XL is a $100 rod. C3 Abu is a $100 reel. C4 is a $160 reel. Calcutta is a $300 reel. Abu levelwinds have been around for 50 years and still going strong. Not going to lie though, Calcutta's feel smoother but I have 6 Abu's on my rods and in the closet.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 04:04:05 PM by Rieber »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2016, 10:40:34 PM »

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2016, 10:59:47 PM »

If this is a Vedder class rod 8-12# then an Abu C3 or C4 in a 5500 is just fine.
If it's the heavier or Fraser sockeye class rod 10-20# then go C4 6500
If its a Fraser Spring class rod then go Abu 7000 - but this is no good in the Vedder.

Calcutta is the Cadillac of levelwinds and is value overkill for a Trophy XL rod.

Calcutta is a significant investment in a levelwind reel but it won't make you feel the fish take any better than a lesser valued reel like the Abu. If you go with a Calcutta, you sort of want that high end stuff on a nice Sage or Loomis rod.

Trophy XL is a $100 rod. C3 Abu is a $100 reel. C4 is a $160 reel. Calcutta is a $300 reel. Abu levelwinds have been around for 50 years and still going strong. Not going to lie though, Calcutta's feel smoother but I have 6 Abu's on my rods and in the closet.

Yes.  "Sage" advice!  I much prefer a smaller 5500 C3 (or 5600 C4) for medium sized rivers like the Vedder.  And yes, the Calcutta is the "Cadillac" of levelwinds.  My "top rod" is my Sage 2106 paired with a Calcutta 200B and it is the perfect coho set-up!  It can handle springs in the Vedder as well, but I don't normally target the springs - unless I'm in need of roe (which I am right now!).

I do own a 6500 C3 and a 6600 C4 as well.  I mainly use these with a Shimano Technium for fishing the Fraser, which I haven't done since 2014.  So these reels are dust collectors, but they look awesome on my shelf!

All things aside, I second Rieber's advice.   :)

NothingToSnagAbout

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2016, 11:43:37 AM »

Thanks for all the tips guys, it's a med/light casting 8-17lb TCS6105MLC, I'm leaning toward the smaller 5500/5600 Abus, just gonna use it on the Vedder and Stave

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2016, 11:55:31 AM »

Yep.  For a rod of that line rating, a 5500/5600 for small to medium sized rivers like the Vedder and Stave would be ideal.  :)

sbc hris

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2016, 06:23:35 PM »

Yep.  For a rod of that line rating, a 5500/5600 for small to medium sized rivers like the Vedder and Stave would be ideal.  :)

I totally agree. I have a 5000, and a 5600. Both are very nice reels on a rod like yours.