Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New member  (Read 5981 times)

Ken+

« on: September 13, 2016, 08:15:22 PM »

Hi everyone,

My name is Ken and I live in Toronto.

I've signed up on Fishing with Rod for a long time. A friend of mine (Kazu, akak UMAKKO) used to post here but he has since returned to Japan. I fished with Kazu in BC in 2007 and 2009 and caught many of the species BC has to offer.

I love fishing for different species, and it is Rodney's love for various species and his videos that prompted me now to introduce myself. I hope to be a little more active here and find out more about the various species that BC has to offer.

I've been fishing since 11 years old...and I'm now 34. I've always love catching different species, but it was Kazu who really got me into species hunting, especially for the micro species and the non-sportfish species. Since then, I've fished in many Canadian provinces, US states and countries targeting species.

Thus far, I've caught about 633 species. I'm not sure of the exact number yet as there were still a few Peru species I need to fully identify. It is also my eventual goal to have fished in all seven continents...and yes, that would include Antarctica. So far, I've fished in North America (Canada, US and Mexico), South America (Peru), Europe (France, Greece), Asia (Thailand, Malaysia, Hong Kong) and Australia (Australia).

Please don't mistake this as a promotion of my blog. I am simply attaching a link to share with you my adventures and my photos so you get a sense of the kind of angler I am.

http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/

You can see my species list in the link below. However, it has not been updated since March and a lot has happened since then (about 80 new species added to the list). Hopefully I can update it when I have time during the Christmas break.

http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/p/species-list.html

In Canada alone, I've caught at least 103 species from 9 provinces. My goal is to catch a new species from AB, YT, NT, and NU so that I can catch species from all the Canadian provinces and territories. Here is just a sample of species I've caught in the 9 Canadian provinces. All fish were caught on hook and line. It'll give you an idea of my passion for species big and small.

British Columbia - Acipenser transmontanus - White Sturgeon

Saskatchewan - Margariscus nachtriebi - Northern Pearl Dace

Manitoba - Hiodon alosoides - Goldeye

Ontario - Esox masquinongy - Muskellunge

Quebec - Alosa sapidissima - American Shad

New Brunswick - Acipenser brevirostrum - Shortnose Sturgeon

Prince Edward Island - Gasterosteus wheatlandi - Blackspotted Stickleback

Nova Scotia - Myoxocephalus octodecemspinosus - Longhorn Sculpin

Newfoundland - Pholis gunnellus - Rock Gunnel

Anyways, I hope to chat with you in the future.

At the moment, I'm especially interested in Largescale Sucker and Peamouth Chub from BC. These are just species I think think off the top of my head. There will be a lot of saltwater species I'd like to target as well on my next visit to BC.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 08:19:33 PM by Ken+ »

joshuag232

Re: New member
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2016, 09:09:44 PM »

Welcome, man. Nice pictures. Message me if you ever need spots to target certain species, I too enjoy coarse fishing.

Ken+

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2016, 09:32:06 PM »

Hey Ken ...Welcome to "Fishing with Rod"!  (It's "Blair"  :D)

Well, hello Blair! I had a feeling it was you.  ;)

For those who are reading this, Blair and I belong to the Toronto Urban Fishing Ambassadors (Blair, you will always be one of us...even if you are in BC now). Our group aims to educated Toronto anglers who fish in the city, to introduce new people into the sport (especially children), to fight for and maintain fishing access within Toronto area, and to improve our urban fishery by shoreline cleanups, installing fishing line receptacles, engaging with government agencies and partners such as MNR, TRCA and OFAH.

Blair, if I have a chance to visit BC next summer, we'll have to meet up and share some water again. It's been a long time.

Ken+

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2016, 09:42:07 PM »

Welcome, man. Nice pictures. Message me if you ever need spots to target certain species, I too enjoy coarse fishing.

Thanks! I can see a nice sucker in your profile picture. Is that a Largescale Sucker or a Longnose Sucker?

Of the coarse fish, I've only caught Redside Shiner and Northern Pikeminnow. So I'm basically up for any coarse fish that BC has to offer.

Have you caught any Mountain Sucker or Leopard Dace? They are two species that comes to mind as well. Love to hear about Coastrange Sculpin too!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 08:19:20 AM by Ken+ »

TimL

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2016, 03:27:04 AM »

Welcome! I have shore fished the local saltwater for the various bottom fish species for quite some time now. Done a bit of coarse fishing as well in freshwater but not as much. PM me if you are looking for shore spots to fish in the ocean or if you want to join us for a trip or 2 next summer.

Ken+

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2016, 07:32:03 AM »

Welcome! I have shore fished the local saltwater for the various bottom fish species for quite some time now. Done a bit of coarse fishing as well in freshwater but not as much. PM me if you are looking for shore spots to fish in the ocean or if you want to join us for a trip or 2 next summer.

Thank for the offer Tim! I have been doing some reading this morning on this forum. I'd love to catch Whitespotted Greenling, Rock Sole, Starry Flounder, Buffalo Sculpin, Striped Surfperch, Snake Prickleback...etc. I'm not sure if summer (maybe early July) is a good time for these species? From what I remember, Kazu said Starry Flounder and Striped Surfperch are best in the spring.

I also have hooks small enough for Sculpin species (Grunt, Rosylip, Tidepool, Silver Spotted), Prickleback species (Black, Rock, Rockweed) and many more small tidepool species. I find these smaller species very interesting and a lot of fun (often very challenging as well). If you know where to find them, I'd love to try those areas on my visit!

On my 2007 trip to BC, I've caught Shiner Perch, Pile Perch, Pacific Staghorn Sculpin and English Sole in Belcarra. We were fishing along the rocks and didn't try the pier.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 08:22:24 AM by Ken+ »

dufflayer

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2016, 08:12:23 AM »

Go Leafs Go!
Go Leafs Go

243Pete

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2016, 03:08:46 PM »

Welcome Ken!  :D

Awesome archive of photos of different species, those catfish from the amazon are crazy with the scoots/ lateral spines.  :o

Ken+

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2016, 05:26:13 PM »

Welcome Ken!  :D

Awesome archive of photos of different species, those catfish from the amazon are crazy with the scoots/ lateral spines.  :o

Thanks Pete! Yeah, those catfish are really neat but must be handle with care. However, I fear the piranhas more than those catfish. At least the catfish are not out to get you. Piranhas are just evil.

TimL

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2016, 04:06:24 AM »

Thank for the offer Tim! I have been doing some reading this morning on this forum. I'd love to catch Whitespotted Greenling, Rock Sole, Starry Flounder, Buffalo Sculpin, Striped Surfperch, Snake Prickleback...etc. I'm not sure if summer (maybe early July) is a good time for these species? From what I remember, Kazu said Starry Flounder and Striped Surfperch are best in the spring.

I also have hooks small enough for Sculpin species (Grunt, Rosylip, Tidepool, Silver Spotted), Prickleback species (Black, Rock, Rockweed) and many more small tidepool species. I find these smaller species very interesting and a lot of fun (often very challenging as well). If you know where to find them, I'd love to try those areas on my visit!

On my 2007 trip to BC, I've caught Shiner Perch, Pile Perch, Pacific Staghorn Sculpin and English Sole in Belcarra. We were fishing along the rocks and didn't try the pier.
I've fished Belcarra for quite a few seasons now. It's not as good as it used to be due to the increased fishing pressure there in recent years but there's still decent shore spots to fish if you are willing to hike and explore a bit. I would not fish off the pier now- too many people and crab traps. Back then when it was somewhat possible you could catch a variety of species there including flatfish, sculpins, greenlings, perch, etc..even heard of a baby lingcod caught there once. I caught a couple of pile perch there one time. Those fish are not easily caught though..you'll have better luck for them off West Vancouver and the Sunshine Coast.
Striped sea perch can be caught all year round, even in the winter months at some locations. You will see more pregnant females from late spring till early summer as they give birth during that time.  I've caught most of my starries between May and September. For the micros, Belcarra at a low spring tide will be a good place to start. Flip rocks, look in seaweed, or use a dip net (that would be cheating..lol). If you are into wading it is possible to get to the eelgrass beds there. You'll get into at least a few gunnels or pricklebacks and some small sculpins...there's also pipefish out in the eelgrass and kelp. :)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 04:11:28 AM by TimL »

Ken+

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2016, 09:34:18 AM »

Thanks again Tim!

Really hoping to be able to visit next summer and try out some areas for different species. I'll give you a shout if/when the trip is booked and I have an idea when and where I'll be.

I'll PM you to ask a couple more things. :)

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2016, 12:44:39 PM »

Go Leafs Go!

LOL. Have you theen my basethball??

243Pete

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2016, 10:14:41 PM »

Thanks Pete! Yeah, those catfish are really neat but must be handle with care. However, I fear the piranhas more than those catfish. At least the catfish are not out to get you. Piranhas are just evil.

I'd expect, seeing some of those photos especially of the one that actually has more of a saw/ hook shaped lateral spines, I'd expect a lot of care cause of what kinda damage they can inflict. Piranhas are evil but it's amazing how sharp those teeth are.  ;)

Shmoke Shaman

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2016, 08:32:22 AM »

Welcome! Great blog. You're fishing achievements are amazing.

joshuag232

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2016, 03:09:18 PM »

He was a largescale, absolutely beautiful fish.