Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2016 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 208165 times)

dobrolub

Got one last weekend and saw another one caught. Neither was chrome unfortunately.

spoiler

So, to the lostsockeye,
the next time you see DFO or conservation officers out there send them to the abutment pool below Vedder Crossing bridge (right where the cable crosses the river).
what goes on there on a daily basis is disgraceful!!!!
It's a full blown snagfest and DFO needs to park someone down there with a video camera and start writing tickets!
This would be a good place to deploy a drone!
The other unfortunate thing is the bulk of the offenders are new Canadians! >:(

dobrolub

Suggesting to drone these fishermen is a little harsh :)

But they sure should get ticketed! COs should get there before the high water closes that spot.

Drewhill

So, to the lostsockeye,
the next time you see DFO or conservation officers out there send them to the abutment pool below Vedder Crossing bridge (right where the cable crosses the river).
what goes on there on a daily basis is disgraceful!!!!
It's a full blown snagfest and DFO needs to park someone down there with a video camera and start writing tickets!

You can record them and call it in too. Complaining on here won't get anything done.

spoiler

drewhill,
 In the 49 years of fishing the Chilliwack / Vedder system I have been check by DFO a grand total of once!
So the fact that someone got to talk to a DFO office face to face is great! I just thought it might have more impact than a phone call!
I have phoned in reports in the past and got no results. :(

milo

• Old Timer

To be expected. Most of them have not yet associated with the more knowledgeable and ethical crowd to learn from them. Eventually, most "new Canadians" move away from such practices as they gradually become"established Canadians".  :)

Drewhill

drewhill,
 In the 49 years of fishing the Chilliwack / Vedder system I have been check by DFO a grand total of once!
So the fact that someone got to talk to a DFO office face to face is great! I just thought it might have more impact than a phone call!
I have phoned in reports in the past and got no results. :(

DFO has been out a lot this year. They go to the spots that get the most complaints like under the KWB and Tamahi. If enough people call in about a certain spot they will show up.

243Pete

CO's been out a lot this year, been asked for license and equipment checks three times so far.
Had a little chat with both officers about the numerous people I've seen this year alone doing the 8+ foot leader, a piece of pencil lead and optional float. You know... tap tap RIP! tap tap tap... RIP! I'm hoping they do put an end to that crap and make that form of fishing illegal and unethical which it is.
But on a side note both officers were awesome to talk with, had a little chat about fly lines and apparently large mouth bass being found in Nicomen slough and the Fraser river apparently. I'm guessing there might be a notice about catching and destroying any large mouth bass in region 2 as someone is transplanting them into areas where they can do major harm.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !

Got one last weekend and saw another one caught. Neither was chrome unfortunately.

Same here. Got the first chum of the year last week and she was an aged doe with loose eggs coming out upon landing. Go figure.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

River is still in very good shape. Clarity hasn't really changed despite of overnight rain. That may change tonight...

If the river holds, many of you will have excellent coho salmon fishing this weekend.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer

Funny, freds posted a picture of the river this morning looking down at the meat hole just below the crossing. Less people there then there was tues wed thurs when I drove by anyways.
Hope you weekend guys get your fish, the conditions are probably good with that little bump.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Water was still good, all I got was a wet outing, no sure how long it will hold, saw a number of large chinook Salmon taken. Raining very hard now, who was it that asked for rain now have their wish. ;D

dcajaxs

was raining hard down low but not so much up top.  I was surprised how low it is up top still. 

CohoJake

• Old Timer

The upper river was coming up and coloring up quickly when we left at 1:30.

NothingToSnagAbout

Fished community to train bridge 7-12, caught and released some coloured chums, saw some others keep them, amazed at the boots some people bonk. Didn't see any other species.