Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Breathable vs. Neoprene?  (Read 5084 times)

Novabonker

• Old Timer
Breathable vs. Neoprene?
« on: August 15, 2016, 02:17:25 PM »

Apart from the heat factor, what's your choice and why? I just picked up some new Bare neoprenes from Berrys for $100   :D so I'm deciding whether I need a pair of breathables as well. Thoughts?
http://

wizard

Re: Breathable vs. Neoprene?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 02:31:58 PM »

neoprenes suck in warm/hot weather but imo are alot more durable if you're hopping over logs, crawling over rocks etc...and considering they were 100 bucks you won't mind too much if you scratch them up or put a hole in them.  Also, Neoprenes patch up very well with some aqua seal. I prefer neoprenes as I bush wack like crazy and tend to be hard on my gear.  My old neoprenes had aqua seal repairs all over them and they still kept the water out and kept me more then warm in the winter.

100 dollar neoprenes will farrr outlast cheapest pair of Breathables...

there's always pros and cons and personal preference but I'll stick to neos.

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 02:41:17 PM »

I have generally felt like I kept warmer in breathables, because I would always get sweaty in the neoprenes and then get cold from being damp.  I might prefer neoprenes if I was standing in cold water all day (or in a float tube).  Both kinds of waders tend to fail in the feet for me, (which are neoprene even on my breathables).

dufflayer

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2016, 02:48:02 PM »

I have both. Only time I ever touch the neoprenes is for moose season. Wear wool long-johns under your breathables.
Go Leafs Go

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2016, 05:32:44 PM »

-- Have both Seatux neo's and Bailey's breathable.
--Haven't used the neos for a few years but usually take both with me just in case.
--With the UV cure breathables just as fast to fix as neos and aqua.
--Used the neos with tube but found them to hot on the pontoon.

--In any case get what you can afford. I wouldn't have payed full price for the baileys. got them on sale.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2016, 05:41:34 PM »

Neoprenes are safer as they offer flotation  if you fall in . This has been demonstrated in pool and other tests. As they tend to fit tighter than breathables less water will get in the wader. With breathables a bad fall could put enough water in the wader that it can be very hard to get out out of the water. Plus neoprenes offer better warmth as they insulate - even if you are wet after a dunking. I've had that experience. With breathables after a winter fall in shallow water - I had to go back to the car to warm up and dry off as best I could.

Still since bad dunkings don't happen that often most people choose breathables because of the better comfort they offer 90%+ of the time.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

ShaunO

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2016, 09:55:53 AM »

Yes neoprene floats and provide better insulation, but I disagree that wearing neoprene waders is safer.  Unless you are also wearing a PFD, all of your floatation is on your legs and waders provide no floatation for your chest and head.  I know how hard it is to get your legs under you with neoprene waders or wetsuits on and it's a frightening thought trying to do that in the river with nothing supporting your head.

Regardless, ALWAYS WEAR YOUR WADING BELT!!!

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2016, 10:32:55 AM »

Yes neoprene floats and provide better insulation, but I disagree that wearing neoprene waders is safer.  Unless you are also wearing a PFD, all of your floatation is on your legs and waders provide no floatation for your chest and head.  I know how hard it is to get your legs under you with neoprene waders or wetsuits on and it's a frightening thought trying to do that in the river with nothing supporting your head.

Regardless, ALWAYS WEAR YOUR WADING BELT!!!
Yup, had that one - floating down the Vedder with my feet in the air.

Electroman

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2016, 11:24:24 PM »

I wore the neoprene ones for years (thinking they were the cats meow) until a couple years ago when I stated getting chaffing issues and had the booties rub my feet badly. Half way through that day I went to Fred's and picked up a pair of G4s and never looked back. Even in the winter time I can bundle up underneath them and stay warm, even warmer than I was in the old neoprene's.

Like others have said, wear your belt with them or just don't wade deep. Once you try the breathables you wont regret it.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2016, 09:07:44 AM »

I prefer neoprenes when sitting in my float tube/v-boat.  On the flow, it's gotta be breathables.   ;)

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2016, 09:41:58 AM »

Apart from the heat factor, as the OP asked, the advantage of breathables over neo imo are:

The breathables are much easier to get in and out of. Getting in or out of my Bare neos is like taking a casing on or off a sausage :)

The breathables get a lot less skanky. My neos were notorious for being a little ripe.

While baggier, the breathables fit well and are much more comfortable to walk  in. I don't feel like the Michelin man :)

Those advantages may not be worth the extra coinage in and of themselves, but they  are nice.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2016, 11:03:11 AM »

I've gone into the water a couple of times in neoprene and never had experienced the floating upside down problem. Published tests found this didn't happen often and if it did it was easy for a person to right themselves. I've also gone into a river in neoprenes miles down a stream on a mountain trail on a cold day and appreciated the insulation. I was wearing a cotton sweatshirt that got soaked. Even though I did ring it out I was shivering within 15 minutes. Luckily I'd packed a polypro long sleeved undershirt and I changed into that and was fine for the balance of the day.

Neoprenes are safer but don't replace a pfd. But very few people wear these while wading (or in a boat for that matter) so that's moot.

Regardless of the type of wader, always wear a wading belt.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2016, 06:40:46 PM »

I've gone into the water a couple of times in neoprene and never had experienced the floating upside down problem. Published tests found this didn't happen often and if it did it was easy for a person to right themselves. I've also gone into a river in neoprenes miles down a stream on a mountain trail on a cold day and appreciated the insulation. I was wearing a cotton sweatshirt that got soaked. Even though I did ring it out I was shivering within 15 minutes. Luckily I'd packed a polypro long sleeved undershirt and I changed into that and was fine for the balance of the day.

Neoprenes are safer but don't replace a pfd. But very few people wear these while wading (or in a boat for that matter) so that's moot.

Regardless of the type of wader, always wear a wading belt.

Perhaps it was all the hot air in the other end Ralph  :P
Just kidding of course!

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2016, 09:34:48 AM »

Neos are more durable and less expensive, but IMO those are the only "plus" votes for neoprene waders vs. breathables.

As others have said, breathables are:

- more comfortable to wear
- vastly more comfortable to hike in
- easier to get on and off
- easier to swim in if necessary
- just as warm if you layer properly (ie. NO COTTON)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2016, 02:20:56 PM »

Perhaps it was all the hot air in the other end Ralph  :P
Just kidding of course!

you're speaking of trapped methane? ;D