Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Whipsaw - Wells and Lodestone Lakes - Aug 9th  (Read 5071 times)

Ambassador

Whipsaw - Wells and Lodestone Lakes - Aug 9th
« on: August 11, 2016, 04:58:36 PM »

Drove the AMAZING Whipsaw Trail this week with the boys and our Toyotas. Brought my Kayak along so I could hit the little lakes up for some flyfishing as I was pretty sure they see little pressure. That was a good idea.

Not a lot of big ones - but tons of action. Landed 13 at Wells in under 2 hours (2 of them over a pound), and over 20 at Lodestone. Nothing of decent size in Lodestone - all around a quarter to to half a pound - but awesome action on the little chronomid I had on. 7 fish landed in 8 casts at one point of the day. That is the best fishing action I have had - more hits than even my best Pink day! All small - but so fun. 

DONT attempt the Whipsaw unless you have a well rigged out 4x4 and at least one other truck to save you when it goes south. Tons of mudpits and crazy climbs that are not for 95% of stock vehicles. It is an incredible journey, and will be an annual journey if all goes as planned.
"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown

Ambassador

Re: Whipsaw - Wells and Lodestone Lakes - Aug 9th
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2016, 05:01:15 PM »

And of course Marc pulls out a fish on his first cast at Lodestone with his super lure. Uses the same lure in every fishery we are in - and he catches something every time on it. Dang.
Roderick Haig-Brown

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2016, 06:11:13 PM »

I made several trips into Lodestone Lake about 30 years ago.  The road was definitely a challenge. Interesting to know that it hasn't changed.  Tremendous country to traverse though, I loved it.  Only bent my truck slightly.

Fishing sounds the same too, tons of eager minnows.

blueback

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2016, 04:35:42 PM »

Awesome: thanks for the report on Lodestone. Great drive up there too. Did you eat any of the Lodestone trout? From what I remember about the trout from that lake is the unusual colour flesh (sort of yellowish) and the great taste. My wife, still remembers our trip up there (before we got married) from twenty years back and the great tasting fish!

Ambassador

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2016, 05:45:47 PM »

I kept one from Lodestone and a few from Wells - and yeah - the flesh was quite a bit paler and a touch on the dusty brown side from what I'm used to.
Though small - they were really nice to eat! Pan fried in a bit of flour, salt and butter. Awesome.

Not to mention the Osprey that was doing laps above me and then KA-BOOM! As he exploded into the lake behind me and pulled out a nice little fish. I've seen Eagles fish before and that is very majestic - but watching the osprey go completely under water then fly away with a fish - now that was cool.
Roderick Haig-Brown