Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: It's Bomber Season at Tunkwa Lake, early August 2016  (Read 2941 times)

Tunkwa Lake Resort

• Advertiser
  • Tunkwa Lake Resort
    • Tunkwa Lake Resort
It's Bomber Season at Tunkwa Lake, early August 2016
« on: August 02, 2016, 01:42:19 PM »

It's 'bomber' season up here at Tunkwa, and we are not talking about water bombers either!

The first part of the week saw some good bomber hatches starting up, and fishing was fantastic if you were able to set up on the spots where the chironomids were hatching.

Here is a report from one of our guests last week that kinda sums it up well:

---------------------------------------------------------

My name is brandyn, I came out to fish tunkwa for the first time yesterday. I had chatted with a couple fella's at the office prior to going out on the water and they had given me a few tips, muchly appreciated and also asked me to give a report when I got back. I was in a hurry to make it home as I stayed on the lake a little later then anticipated and wasnt able to report back so thought I'd send an email today now that I have some time.

The fishing was fantastic. As they said the lake was fishing quite small, however if you seen chronies on the water there were probably trout underneath feeding on them! Majority of my fish were taken in 13ft of water and all on chronomids and bloodworms i started the day with with a bloodworm pattern and after catching my first fish and pumping it i noticed it was full of green bloodworms and a couple green red butt chronies so I switched over to john kents green bloodworm and managed a few more fish, all had bloodworms in them but as the day went on I started to see a few more chironomids inside the fish and thus switched over around 11am.

Started with a size 12 red rib roche lake special and managed a few fish on it so i tried a green red butt acetate floss pattern that seemed to work alittle better. After pumping another fish i noticed the chironomids were much bigger and after a close look on the water i had seen the light!!! BOBMERS!!! I put on a guns and roses pattern in a 12 3xl size and was consistantly into fish for the next couple hours! the two biggest fish of the day 21 inches and 23 inches were both caught on the guns and roses pattern with my average fish in the 14-18 inch range. All in all it was a great day on the water espcially for my first time there.

Having the guys at the shop to help dissecting a lake makes a big difference so I thank you fella's again very much for your help and have already recommended the place to friends and will continue to do so! Thanks again and I will see you next weekend!!!! I hear theres some big ones in there amongst the many so Ill be back to see what I can find!!
p.s have a few pics and a short video of the biggest fish of the day if you'd like them let me know!

Cheers and tight lines!!

Brandyn Dixon

---------------------------------------------------------

Great report Brandyn, and we were glad to have helped you out!

Later in the week, the weather turned much more unsettling, with lots of thunderstorms passing through the area. The hatches really slowed down, even stopping at times, making fishing tough for all. Some anglers who found small hatches, still were into fish. Others switched up to leech patterns, mayfly patterns, or scuds and worked for their fish, and still hooked up.

Worms under a float has been a mainstay, and will always produce when everything else isn't.

We had some guests do well trolling Frog coloured HotShots, with a bit of weight to pull them down a bit deeper.

There was a bit of a hatch last night, with a couple of reports on some good fishing, using PumpkinHeads, or larger Black-Sally chironomids.

The weather forecast is looking really good, with stable weather after today's system pushes through, and we should see the bugs hatching and fishing picking right back up.

We have the FlyBC.ca gang in here this weekend for a first ever "Summer Fish In", and we're looking forward to seeing the crew arriving.

Have a great week!

Al Patton
Tunkwa Lake Resort