Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gratitude and thanks from some boys from Last Door Treatement Centre!  (Read 2438 times)

wookie

Hi everyone,

For the past three years, I have taken clients/residents from a treatment center in New Westminster out fishing.  It is not only important for them to learn new hobbies and discover new passions to ensure a healthy recovery and life moving forward in their journey, but also it is important for me to give back to a place that literally saved my life.

Since I have been clean I quickly learned that I only keep the life I have by sharing it with others, I have done my best to share my passion for the outdoors, and namely the passion for fishing we all share here, with as many people as I can who would otherwise not have the opportunity to do so.  As a result, many lasting friendships have been made, and I believe that lives have been changed for the better. 

Earlier this year I reached out to members on this site, and was rewarded with tons of support from people on FWR, from general insight, logistical support and gear donations to get guys out on the water.  So far this year, I have managed several trips to the Chilliwack River, the Capilano, and a few small streams in and around New Westminster.  Most recently, and with the help of Hook, his dad, and a mutual friend, we were able to take 11 guys out for a three day stillwater trip around Merritt.  To see several guys who have never even held a flyrod learn to cast and get into several fish each day was by far the best experience I have ever had on the water.  Even if we caught nothing, I'm sure I would have felt the same.  Watching young men and kids who have come from rough and tumultuous pasts smile, laugh and truly feel gratitude for a day on the water and another day clean is truly a gift.

I just wanted to thank those on FWR who have offered words of encouragement, provided advice and support for me and the guys from Last Door.  Thank you for giving back!
I have passed along a link to some pics we took below!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10157312564160604.1073741834.586575603&type=1&l=7297389a2f

- Wookie

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer

Awesome work dude! Thanks for the pics :D