Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder/Chilliwack river July 23, 2016  (Read 4226 times)

CohoJake

• Old Timer
Vedder/Chilliwack river July 23, 2016
« on: July 24, 2016, 08:19:48 AM »

What a beautiful day on the river!  It was as if the wildlife were trying to tell me that they were more exciting than Pokemon Go any day.  Started at a nice new pool on the lower river at first light, and quickly got a hit on my procured prawn.  The hit was explosive, and it ran upstream and jumped, but turned out to be a 12 inch pikeminnow.  That was followed by many more pikeminnow hits, as I learned where they were sitting and would consistently hit it there.

I moved upstream a bit and after a few drifts, was surprised when the stick I saw drifting downstream started to swim towards me.  It was a mink!  It swam on down the bank.  About 45 minutes later, a larger log came drifting downstream, and again started swimming!  This time, it was a beaver!  To top it off, 3 deer proceeded to wade across the tailout below us, as eagles and herons were flying overhead. 

Still, no salmon.  We drove upstream and found a large school of sockeye mid-river.  We fished there for about an hour, but had no takers, including sockeye, and no signs of chinook.

Finally, we drove upstream and watched other people fish at a couple holes near the boundary.  Nothing.  Nada.  Went home and got back in bed before 11:00. 

Are they late?  Is the run a bust?  I hope not.  I'm traveling for a couple of weeks so I'll try it again in mid-August. 

Tight lines!

Shmoke Shaman

Re: Vedder/Chilliwack river July 23, 2016
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 07:48:22 PM »

I too was there and today was such a nice day to be fishing.
Went to Rotary Trail, too many hoodlums. Got scared so I fished lower of KWB.
Few schools of Sockeye swam by but no bites.
Pulled in a small rainbow , may he rest in peace.
Two seals came and then fishing was over.

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 09:02:06 PM »

Hooked a little -10 pound chinook on the third cast today and managed to snap my mainline on it. Then snagged up on a log a little after and snapped off above my float so clearly I need to spool some new line on there.
River is full of sockeye in some runs and its really awesome to see. Finally got a sockeye twitching a jig so I was really happy with that.
Landed 6 sockeye and ended the day off with a 5 pound bullet jack that could have used a better tailing job before he popped off otherwise he would have been BBQ'ing with some lemon right now.
Didn't see any more chinooks and saw 2 sockeye flossed at the slab when I stopped to watch.

SilverChaser

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2016, 05:33:07 PM »

There's a few chinook starting to move in. Quite a few people im connected with on social media are starting to get some. Im 0/1.

Finally got a sockeye twitching a jig so I was really happy with that.
I keep forgetting my twitching rod, cannot wait to try this! Good to know its productive.
Freestone Fly Co Ambassador
Halieus Outdoors Team Member

Drewhill

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2016, 03:51:15 PM »

The spring run seems to be down this year. Not sure of the actual numbers but I'm seeing a lot less caught. I heard from a local who camps past the limit that it was stacked with springs in June so maybe they were early. Sockeye are frustrating because you can see them but getting them to bite is a different story. Unfortunately a lot have resorted to flossing and snagging.

What a beautiful day on the river!  It was as if the wildlife were trying to tell me that they were more exciting than Pokemon Go any day.  Started at a nice new pool on the lower river at first light, and quickly got a hit on my procured prawn.  The hit was explosive, and it ran upstream and jumped, but turned out to be a 12 inch pikeminnow.  That was followed by many more pikeminnow hits, as I learned where they were sitting and would consistently hit it there.

I moved upstream a bit and after a few drifts, was surprised when the stick I saw drifting downstream started to swim towards me.  It was a mink!  It swam on down the bank.  About 45 minutes later, a larger log came drifting downstream, and again started swimming!  This time, it was a beaver!  To top it off, 3 deer proceeded to wade across the tailout below us, as eagles and herons were flying overhead. 

Still, no salmon.  We drove upstream and found a large school of sockeye mid-river.  We fished there for about an hour, but had no takers, including sockeye, and no signs of chinook.

Finally, we drove upstream and watched other people fish at a couple holes near the boundary.  Nothing.  Nada.  Went home and got back in bed before 11:00. 

Are they late?  Is the run a bust?  I hope not.  I'm traveling for a couple of weeks so I'll try it again in mid-August. 

Tight lines!