Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lac le jeune  (Read 7189 times)

vancook

• Old Timer
Lac le jeune
« on: July 21, 2016, 06:45:38 AM »

I'm heading up to lac le jeune for some camping in a couple weeks and was curious about the fishing there. I see that it's a stocked lake so should I expect similar to the local stocked lakes?
Typical fish size? Effective lures or baits? I'll be limited to shore fishing and the dock.
Thanks in advance

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Lac le jeune
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 07:18:18 AM »

Can't tell you about shore fishing but LeJeune is a fine lake. It has natural stock and stocked triploids etc. Size is typically 1 to 1.5 lbs with fish to around 3lbs or better. It fishes much like any of the interior lakes; the fish mainly take aquatic insects and invertebrates. There are 2 lakes - Big and Little (sometimes called Mud lake). Little LeJeune is at the west and the resort is on that part. It has a silty bottom. The large lake is more rock and gravel. You may be able to wade there. If you are not a fly fisher try casting small spoons spinners and flat fish type plugs.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2016, 08:07:48 AM »

They used to rent boats there at one time.
It's been while,  so I'm not sure ???

NothingToSnagAbout

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2016, 09:12:53 AM »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2016, 08:52:05 AM »

Walloper Lake is 5 minutes away and has a fishing dock plus is supposed to be full of small trout. It gets a thick algae bloom in summer which effects the fishing. I am pretty sure you can still rent boats from the resort. Just continue down the road from the campground.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2016, 12:11:40 PM »

Was at Walloper back in early May and can attest it is absolutely loaded with small trout, but they are really small. Average 6-8” with the biggest I saw maybe 10”. But there were lots of them and practically a fish a cast at the time.

Shore access seemed limited if you don’t have a boat or float tube but has a very good dock.

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2016, 06:15:09 PM »

Thanks for all the information.
Have a first time fisher with me so we'll be sticking to the fishing dock. Maybe head to walloper if it's more frequent bites to keep them entertained.
I'll be stocking up on some baits and lures. And finally change the line on my smaller spinning reels