Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Anyone tried TROKAR hooks?  (Read 4461 times)

scouterjames

• Old Timer
Anyone tried TROKAR hooks?
« on: July 20, 2016, 11:30:52 PM »

Check out the point on these things!!  Wonder if they're worth it - maybe I'll try a pack for a couple bucks they'd be interesting to see!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AU5V3IS/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3VTG755X6D9V1&coliid=I3IC9OOSU0UUHJ&psc=1

:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

clarkii

• Old Timer
Re: Anyone tried TROKAR hooks?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 06:57:16 PM »

Toooooootally worth it, the best hooks EVER for snagging fish in rivers.  Bit pricey though with 2 per pack/

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 11:01:02 AM »

Toooooootally worth it, the best hooks EVER for snagging fish in rivers.  Bit pricey though with 2 per pack/

Wow - ignorant answer.  There are many other places and reasons to use treble hooks (not everyone fishes fresh water), other than snagging - but thanks for confirming to all your method of fishing and line of thought, much appreciate you taking the time and reaching out! 

The price is why I was wondering if anyone has tried them - as above, thanks for pointing out the obvious.  Such a lot learned by your reply!

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 06:27:38 PM »

Apparently they are really good hooks. I still haven't tried them due to the price. A couple of friends swear by them.

And don't mind clarkii. He's the kind that only fly fishes and frowns upon all those below him  ;D Heaven forbid someone chucks a spoon into the ocean with a barbless treble on it and not a small California Neil fly.

doja

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2016, 10:39:40 PM »

I actually find trebles reduce deep hooking...

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2016, 07:36:14 AM »

I actually find trebles reduce deep hooking...

You have? That's interesting as numerous studies over 30 or more years have found the same thing.  ;D
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2016, 04:01:15 PM »

Apparently they are really good hooks. I still haven't tried them due to the price. A couple of friends swear by them.

And don't mind clarkii. He's the kind that only fly fishes and frowns upon all those below him  ;D Heaven forbid someone chucks a spoon into the ocean with a barbless treble on it and not a small California Neil fly.

Hey its a lot harder to do this with a single barbless.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giOpNAvlwTI

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2016, 07:08:10 PM »

Personally I thought it was initially a troll.
I don't use trebles (any longer....even as Stingers/trailers)
And  there is a lot of water here in BC and some will allow  trebles.
Playing within the rule book I'm good.
Although the post was sent out to a bazillion random, internet readers
most of the active members are lower mainland and, BC based.

And then we have a bunch of others who's only purpose is to CATCH.

If you're gonna throw that fine looking hook out there maybe add some info on It's  Intended use.

So!  Promoting  trebles ( barbless or knot) might need some clarification as to the the areas and purposes  used.

Others might just think that it's the way it is.
As they don't read the Regs and everything on the internet is true.

fish fishburn

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2016, 11:15:27 AM »

I use them all the time, sticky sharp. Never used trebles though, usually 5/0 WG for Largemouth Bass fishing. There worth the money for sure.

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2016, 04:32:08 PM »

Playing within the rule book I'm good.
Although the post was sent out to a bazillion random, internet readers
most of the active members are lower mainland and, BC based.

And then we have a bunch of others who's only purpose is to CATCH.

If you're gonna throw that fine looking hook out there maybe add some info on It's  Intended use.

So!  Promoting  trebles ( barbless or knot) might need some clarification as to the the areas and purposes  used.

Others might just think that it's the way it is.
As they don't read the Regs and everything on the internet is true.

Your right it was initially a troll.  What I found hilarious though is this was posted on the 20th, I put one in on the 21st 18 hours after the first post, then it took until the 24th for things to happen.

so far only one of those was actually helpful and it just came in at 11:15

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2016, 05:31:53 PM »

Trebles are legal in almost all lakes in BC and in most tidal waters - so that means in most of the water of BC trebles are legal not just some.

I didn't think it was a troll. There is little evidence that treble hooks cause higher mortality among fish that are either released or are not landed.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2016, 04:38:50 PM »

I was not trolling, simply asking a question - If I was trolling, I would have added - they look great for snagging or Sockeye Specials  some such.  If you read through ANY of my previous posts, you'll not find any trolling in any of them.

Heading to salt more this summer, after many years away from it (other than Ambleside from the rocks and a couple minor trips around Porteau) and needing to update some older tackle, change out some hooks, I like also to use some buzz bombs.  I usually use single hooks, but some things I was thinking of sticking with the trebles, some of the tackle has been packed away for YEARS, figured if I was changing them anyway, I'd find some barbless.... they are expensive beasts no matter where I've looked at them!  Their (Trokar's) claim of sharpest trebles put up a little red flag, so thought I'd post here and see if anyone has experience with them....

I appreciate the feedback, and Clarkii - if you were replying like that due to assuming I was trolling, I apologize!  If not, then my comment stands LOL