Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bulkley/Skeena question  (Read 2490 times)

natepolean

Bulkley/Skeena question
« on: July 17, 2016, 07:59:39 PM »

I'm going to spend a few days in Smithers in mid sept.  Will concentrate on drifting the Bulkley. But  I also want to check out the Skeena walk and wade not too far from Hazelton.    Just wondering if there's any good access points in that area?  I found Bulkley Junction Provincial park that looks promising on the map right at the mouth of the Bulkley.

MetalAndFeathers

Re: Bulkley/Skeena question
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 08:04:36 AM »

What type of fishing are you doing? Lots of fish at the mouth of the bulkley on the downstream side. But its mainly suited for barfishing and float fishing.

dufflayer

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 08:44:04 AM »

I am also looking for some spots in the area. I'd like to head out there a couple more times before Winter. Just a thought, I would try calling McBike and Sport in Smithers. Let them know you're planning on coming through and getting some tackle, and they might point you in the right direction.

I know the Telkwa area has some good runs, but lots of private land back there.

There doesn't seem to be a hell of a lot of northern anglers on this forum... or at least ones willing to give up their spots.  ;)
Go Leafs Go

natepolean

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 08:53:26 AM »

I'll be based in Telkwa, drifting and spey fishing the Bulkley.  Don't have the balls to fish the Morice alone because of Grizzlies.  Just want to check out the Skeena close to Hazelton for one day.  Also looking for shuttles in Smithers, unless drivers up there are friendly towards hitchhikers.

dufflayer

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2016, 09:12:13 AM »

Lots of folks hitch a ride from Telkwa to Smithers... But read the signs, don't do it.

The RV park in Telkwa mentions on their site that they have a shuttle service. (http://www.forttelkwa.com/SteelheadSeason.html)
I would wander around there and look for people with boats to see if they can help you out.

Bring a level-wind float rod just in case. Lots of rugged access out there. Not like the lower mainland with its well-used and manicured trails. As of right now the alder/devil's club is higher than giraffe tits and with all the rain we've been getting, the water is pretty nasty too.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 09:46:41 AM by dufflayer »
Go Leafs Go