Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Houseboating in the Shushwap  (Read 1970 times)

BananasQ

Houseboating in the Shushwap
« on: July 16, 2016, 02:42:27 PM »

Im off houseboating next week and rather than being excited about all-night parties, I'm keen to get my line wet. Does anyone have any tips on what I could target whilst up there? Thanks in advance!

Rieber

• Old Timer
Re: Houseboating in the Shushwap
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2016, 09:52:11 AM »

I would recommend to primarily target Kokanee. Beauty of this is that they can be readily picked up at all hours of the day or night. Their long, slender brown bodies and shimmering silvery blue heads. Soon as you get one off the ice, firmly grasp the head and twist it off with humane authority. The key is to remove the internals in most rapid fashion as to not let sun affect the temperature.

You will also have at hand, the option to target the Kokanee with the beautiful silvery blue bodies. While it is common practice to target the taller bodies, you may opt for the smaller body to insure minimum temperature change if the internals during the duration of the removal stage. With either silvery blue body style, you initiate the evisceration by gently inserting your index finger under the upper lip and then, without mercy, forcefully snap back the upper lip until you hear the unmistakable sound of its last gasp for air. You may then proceed to remove the contents at your preferred rate.

Added benefit of the silvery blue body sub-species is that once you harvest the internals, you can conserve space and simplify storage by easily compressing the bodies to their flattened state - something not easily done with the brown body sub-species of Kokanee.

Enjoy your catch of Kokanee and remember to keep them on ice until you are ready to harvest.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 10:10:08 AM by Rieber »

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2016, 10:53:51 AM »

Boy I don't know Bout you guys but I'm thirsty all of a sudden!

BananasQ

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2016, 04:41:52 PM »

Ha ha - quality!  :D Kokanee it is - I think that the daily limit is 24 with a possession limit of double that so I will make sure I observe that.

rootbeer

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2016, 05:30:22 PM »

Shuswap is a big lake with strict restrictions.  Summer usually means deep, but in the morning and evening you can have some luck catching rainbow.  Apex, or Coyote Spoons are the usual go to lures.  Lots of discussions on here about Shuswap Lake. 

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2016, 09:01:33 PM »

Just got back today from a 4 day houseboat trip on the Shushwap. 4 Bull trout on jigs and a can't count how many pike minnow we caught. Didn't spend much time fishing as we were going too fast to troll. More time relaxing and having fun than fishing. But if you troll slow and get deep, you could pull some decent fish out for sure.