Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Spinner with two hooks  (Read 3083 times)

KarateKick

Spinner with two hooks
« on: July 16, 2016, 09:27:20 AM »

I've seen some spinners with two hooks:

In regions where we are allowed two single barbless hooks on one line, are the spinners with two hooks legal?

If it's legal, does it actually help to have that trailing hook?  Is that good for all species?

It looks as if two smaller hooks are replacing one big hook.  Does that do less damage?

clarki

• Old Timer
Re: Spinner with two hooks
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2016, 09:49:01 AM »

The two hook version ( called the spinner harness in the pic, or also called the worm harness) is meant to be fished with bait. It's a very popular way to fish for walleye by stringing a worm between the hooks and trolling the rig. Without the spinner, two hooks in tandem are used to rig baitfish for salmon, pike...

If it's legal, I wouldn't recommend using the harness spinner w/o bait.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2016, 10:38:07 AM »

--I would only reccomend the two hook rig if you are in a lake where you intend to keep fish caught.
--This is a popular kokanee rig... bait on first hook such as corn with scent added.
--The problems... even if the barbs are pinched the trailer will often get into the gills of the kokanee so if you catch even a 10 inch fish you have basically killed it so it should be kept as part of your quota.

--In kokanee lakes in USA... like Chelan... they have a 10 kokanee limit and you are not allowed to release any caught fish so you must quite fishing once you land 10.

--Even when using bait or scent I usually cut the trailing hook off or replace both hooks with a larger single sickle hook. The larger hook still allowed use of bait like corn. You could also add some wool through the eye of the hook to apply scent.

--I most often only use bait/scent in summer when fishing kokanee 85ft on downrigger.  Again I am not intending to release these fish I am targeting kokanee that I intend to keep.

KarateKick

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2016, 11:17:42 AM »

Thank you so much for the info, clarki and skaha!

I can understand that one purpose of the two hooks is to hold longer bait for trolling or jigging. I am not sure I understand the use of two hooks when you put bait only on the first.  It sounds like there is a chance of the second hook snagging the wrong parts of the fish.

I recall reading about advantages of a hook trailing a distance behind the metal lure. That somehow allows you to use a smaller hook. When you use two hooks for kokanee, is the purpose to have one hook hold the bait and have the other catch the fish?

Why is this rig good for walleye and kokanee and not other species?

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2016, 08:27:22 PM »

--Kokanee tend to follow the lure and nip or bite at the back of it. When using one hook in a hoochie or tube fly often move the hook farther back.
--Trout and other species tend to hit from the side of the lure going for the head or eye,  but not always.

--On a spoon the trailing hook swings around given extra action...that may get attention. Hooked fish is not chewing on the lure which may help it dislodge the hook.

--As with any rig it can be used for different purposes. If the hook is to far back it can tangle on its own line if being let out to fast or when cast. Have to play with the length behind. Also can use different materials... fly line backing is poplular.

--Some use a trailer or stinger hook even small treble. Again these are meant to be used in fisheries where you would not expect to release fish.

--The kokanee guys  are using bait on first hook when using smaller hooks as the bait may impeed hook up. It also depends on the gap size and shape of the hook.
 It isn't an issue with a larger hook. If you take a look on the thundermist lure site you will see they use even three hooks on some lures with wire leaders to hold bait... worms etc.

--They use these rigs when there is a good species seperation... that is there is a reasonalbe chance that you will only hook targeted fish species that are intended to keep. Where non intened species are mixed in... it is not a good idea to use rigs that are difficult to remove from fish without damage.

dufflayer

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2016, 08:57:55 AM »

I use apex kokanee specials tipped with maggots on the first hook (closest to the lure). When I hook in to trout, I find that the trailing hook is almost always innefective. As skaha mentioned, trout like to hit the lure broadside and turn with it. I use the multi-hook rigs on days when they are bitting hesitantly mainly because the smaller and sharper hooks will give me more hookups than the big siwash.

When fishing worms, these rigs are king. If you can thread it right, the action is insane. Great for walleye and trout that you don't plan on putting back.
Go Leafs Go