Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: lower Fraser Sockeye  (Read 6140 times)

fishersak

• I'm a llama!
lower Fraser Sockeye
« on: July 22, 2004, 09:23:23 AM »

OK as Chris mentioned in an earlier thread, fishers were able to get sockeye on krill and ghost shrimp below a float in the Harrison.  I wonder if such a method could be productive in the lower Fraser.  Water clarity will probably be an issue but has anyone tried it?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re:lower Fraser Sockeye
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2004, 11:44:21 AM »

According to some "experts" sockeyes can't see in the murky waters of the Fraser and that they don't bite once they enter fresh water. Isn't it interesting that they can be caught on krill and ghost shrimps in the Harrison ?

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2004, 12:01:29 PM »

you're better off sticking with the gibbs spoon or pink hootchies. especially if you're way low (ie. the mouth or the lower bars). however, i've had buddies fish with ghost shrimp, under the puttullo bridge and managed to hook onto dollies and also bluebacks.

Nikonian

• Newbies on fishing
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2004, 09:20:06 PM »

So, does it mean that it's harder to fish on if I don't drive towards Mission/Harrison?  What is the chance that I fish around Patullo Bridge to Coquitlam?

Other than sockeye, I will try my luck tomorrow @
Ambleside after work. 8)

Got a tight schedule this weekend and need to fish closer.... :-\ thanks!!!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2004, 09:22:26 PM by Nikonian »

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2004, 09:13:45 AM »

If the Sockeyes don't bite after they have entered fresh water how come in the last two weeks at the Vedder whilst short floating for Springs I have been catching Sockeye???? all of them hooked in the mouth!!!! (the inside of the mouth) and they have taken the bait hard!!!! in some pools you can see them chasing the presentation, Methinks they bite and they feed!!!!!what do you think Normfish you FLOSSER!!!!!!
Rick.

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

pinkwool

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2004, 10:49:48 AM »

Cool down Rick. Enjoy your day :)

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
  • Almost the holiest fisher that ever was!
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2004, 07:41:52 PM »

So, since I have been watching this topic for a couple of days, and have not heard much  :o :D...

Does anyone actually fish the lower fraser for sockeys?  This would be pretty cool if I could catch a couple this years.  Come on resident experts.  What is the verdict?  : :P

Jon out

TtotheE

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2004, 08:44:52 PM »

Last year I witnessed our very own Rodney floss a sockeye on the lower fraser with one of his SPOONS.  ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2004, 08:59:32 PM »

As I have posted before, in over 30 years of bar fishing every so often you will catch a sockeye I do not know how many for sure but would say 6.

However I have caught many at places like the mouth of the Sumas but that was in a very high flow year and the water of the Fraser was very very dirty and they pull into the clear area's of this area.

As we expect a large run this year I am going to try and short float them in between the commercial opening that I believe start Monday.

Of course once the commercial opening start they make quite a impact on our fishing success but the are entitled to some fish too.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2004, 11:28:30 PM »

rick, don't get bent out of shape.  here's some facts for you....

1.   on the most part, sockeyes migrating back from the sea, don't feed.  their main objective is to reach their spawning beds to breed.

2.    out of 2 to 4 million fish returning, it would be rediculous to believe that  not one of them might get hungry.

3.     just like any wild animal, sockeyes (at times) will bite instinctively.

4.     it has been documented,  that kokanees (landlocked sockeyes),  regularly spawn side by side , with sockeyes that have returned from the sea.
'point being'... residential species will end up being caught by anglers and be mistakened for migrating, 'sea run' fish.

today i was on the vedder targeting springs.  i ended up hooking onto these huge, powerful sockeyes, that looked like green chromed coho.  an old timer pointed out that the fish came from a creek past chilliwack lake and that they only came down for a few days to spawn. i took his word for it because after an hour of conversation, he proceeded to tell me that he had lived and fished on the river for the past forty years.

i should have taken note of his name because another angler told me that the gentleman was well known in these parts, and that he was a reknowned fly fishermen, who at one time, was an advisor for the 'recreational and wildlife'.....for some district..... i forget.....