Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Anchoring issues...  (Read 6050 times)

canso

• Old Timer
Re: Anchoring issues...
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2016, 12:50:35 PM »

I find it difficult to activate the slide bar, you need to payout all your rode then drive forward to slide down the bar.
When you pull up your anchor it will be upside down, indicating you did it right.

I almost always use the boat to release the anchor from the mud suction.
Slowly driving forward and pulling in the rope, when it's tight, cleat it, then drive forward till you have moved a noticeable amount indicating it released from the suction.

Also when anchoring its 3:1 minimum, if you are in 20' of water you will need to let out atleast 60' of rope, don't be so stingy! throw out another 20' if your not sure, it's trial and error until you figure out what your setup needs.  Your anchor weight is fine, 40lbs is ridiculous for that size boat.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2016, 08:49:13 AM »

Awesome, thank you Canso.

Yeah I was thinking before you wrote you last reply, that even if the anchor isn't hung up, it's still a bit of a pain to break the suction and get it moving out of the muck! I think next time I will try what you said and use the boat to nudge it loose first, then haul it in.

So do you always putt forward first, pulling in the extra rope, then tie off, then drive forward a bit to release the anchor? Could you just leave it tied off, start the boat, putt up river until the anchor releases, then haul it in? I was just thinking if the anchor is really stuck, you are eliminating the extra step of letting rope back out if you did it the way you normally do (drive over anchor, pull in extra rope, cleat it, then break the suction).

I know I am likely overcomplicating things, but meh, makes for interesting discussion. I am always looking to do things better esp when it comes to fishing + hunting. It's just how I roll.

Another thought, when you are letting out you anchor line do you toss the anchor over, tie off to cleat, let it hit bottom and drag until it bites, then untie off the cleat and let some more rope out and hope your anchor does not pop loose, drag bottom, and bite again (hopefully).....OR, do you toss your anchor over, let it hit bottom, and immediately feed out extra rope (3:1 ish) and THEN drift backwards until the anchor bites?

I have being doing it the 1st way, but it seems logical that the 2nd way would work better as having more rope out right from the get go will give a better angle on the anchor/chain, and possibly lead to a faster bite with the anchor, and less drift down stream before it bites down. Thoughts?

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2016, 07:52:03 PM »

always bring in the slack then tie off, I use a cinch cleat so it's quick.

Use the second method, throw the rope that is needed right away, remember more is better.
You don't want your anchor dragging the Fraser, logs, cables, nets, all kinds of bad stuff down there (also the reason why I bring the slack in before dislodging from the muck)

Then watch the shore line, your boat will straighten then stop.
Not sure if you use one but, Don't use a drift sock in less you are in low current and need help keeping the boat in the right direction. A drift sock could cause your a anchor to drag.

ShaunO

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2016, 09:51:19 AM »

Here are some anchoring basics.

Also, anchors don't have ropes or line, they have an anchor rode.

Lets talk about scope first.  This is the ratio of your depth to how much anchor rode you need to let out.  If you think about this for a sec this is also going to directly correlate to the angle that your boat is pulling up on the anchor which is connected to how well your anchor will hold.  There are a lot of differing opinions on scope but the minimum scope you should use is 5:1.   So if you are anchoring in 20' of water, you are letting out 100' feet of rode.  In stronger currents, winds or rougher seas you would go further, all the way up to 10:1. 

Anchor chain is not there to add weight to the anchor.  It is there as a shock absorber of sorts so that the rode is not pulling directly on the anchor, rather the chain will lift from the bottom as waves pass or the wind picks up.  This helps pull the anchor in parallel to the bottom instead of lifting it from the bottom.  No hard and fast rule on chain size or length.  Chain is heavy but very, very useful.  I use about 20' of  chain for my small boat.