Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Non selective fishing.i  (Read 5150 times)

nosey

Non selective fishing.i
« on: August 01, 2016, 12:36:53 PM »

I could see between 15 and 20 bottom bouncers and only 2 other guys bar fishing this morning from where I was sitting, perhaps this new sports fishing alliance should put a little work in educating fishermen as to wtf is going on. Because this hard fought for opening won't last a week if those a-holes out snagging are not educated soon. I personally informed about half a dozen of them as to what was going on buy it's going to take a lot more than one mouthy old man to make a difference.

DanL

• Old Timer
Re: Non selective fishing.i
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2016, 01:05:11 PM »

As long as its technically 'legal', most of them couldn't care less and I have no idea how one could 'educate' them in ethics if they dont want to learn.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2016, 02:05:14 PM »

The opening announcement was very clear in what is acceptable methods and what is not. Ignorance is never an excuse.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016, 02:23:28 PM »

I could see between 15 and 20 bottom bouncers and only 2 other guys bar fishing this morning from where I was sitting, perhaps this new sports fishing alliance should put a little work in educating fishermen as to wtf is going on. Because this hard fought for opening won't last a week if those a-holes out snagging are not educated soon. I personally informed about half a dozen of them as to what was going on buy it's going to take a lot more than one mouthy old man to make a difference.
The FRSA was at Island 22 doing just that, pictures I took on the Fraser Valley Salmon Society FB page if you wish to view. I have a video which will post here later.

The TOW ers will never go away no matter how much you try to educate them the same as those that continue drink and drive, speed and work their phones while driving, saw 2 of these beaks today doing that.

buckjr

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 02:45:26 PM »

Was pretty frustrated myself seeing a handful of guys bouncing. Was everything I could do not stop the boat and engage them.

Maybe we should begin a public shaming site or thread. Photograph them in the act, post it up for all to see who contributed to shutting the river down.

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2016, 03:38:17 PM »

if the sockeye  test fishery numbers don't improve soon the river will get shut down .last 5 days numbers bleak johnstone and juan de fuca.

dobrolub

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2016, 03:45:49 PM »

Being a complete novice to this method of fishing (BB), I wonder what's the ratio of socks hookups? What's the ratio of  foul hooking fish?

Tangles

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2016, 06:20:56 PM »

/mod
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 11:22:11 PM by Tangles »

swimmingwiththefishes

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2016, 06:23:51 PM »

Don't get why they don't just do a change of regulation.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2016, 06:28:47 PM »

Don't get why they don't just do a change of regulation.
The FRSA is trying and the Fraser Valley Salmon Society has tried to get this done for a few years.

Here is the video I filmed today at Island 22 with Rod Clapton spokesman for the FRSA. https://youtu.be/j_lhp3ogN0A

dobrolub

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2016, 06:54:21 PM »

Roughly 20-30 sockeye until you get to a spring from what I remember
Thanks. Looking at the numbers there is now more socks in the river then chinook, so it makes sense that you hook more sockeye using that method.

BTW, as far as socks are concerned the numbers tell we are not doing too bad this year. I think 2014 was open and the numbers were similar.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 07:44:36 PM by dobrolub »

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2016, 07:57:56 PM »

Thanks. Looking at the numbers there is now more socks in the river then chinook, so it makes sense that you hook more sockeye using that method.

BTW, as far as socks are concerned the numbers tell we are not doing too bad this year. I think 2014 was open and the numbers were similar.

2014 was a dominant year that ended up being a major dissapointment though

76t7

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2016, 09:28:46 PM »

Had a lady in my townhouse complex tell me today that she had a message on her voicemail that her annual Fraser FN river sockeye order has been filled and was ready for delivery.

sg6804

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2016, 09:41:54 PM »

I think that the best thing dfo can do  for the Chinook rec fishery  is make it a set line (bar fishing ) only , then its easy to monitor and issue tickets to all not complying with the regs  ,

To the other point  of socks being sold , as long as Non FN people are willing to buy sockeye from FN fishers they will be sold . if non FN stopped buying the fish it may go a long way to curbing the issue,  but we know neither party will stop selling or buying  until the resource drys up which is unfortunate

Just my  2 cents worth 

nosey

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2016, 07:01:32 AM »

How about a $5000.00 min fine for anyone caught buying fish illegally until the laws can clearly define whether the first nations people of BC or Jimmie Pattison own the commercial rights to the sockeye. I KNOW Pattison bought all the rights, lol but did he actually buy them off of the rightful owners?