Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Parking lot closure  (Read 3866 times)

dave c

Parking lot closure
« on: July 13, 2016, 11:42:57 AM »

Arrived at first light to make the walk down to the train bridge run only to find the parking lot closed (gated).  The sign posted states summer hrs. 8am to 8pm. While I understand the cities reasoning for gating off the run to vehicle traffic it seems ridiculous to me to upgrade the trail, build a huge parking lot, then gate off the parking lot and enforce specific hrs.
This time of year the sun rises at 5am. Lets face it first light is usually a very productive time for fishermen.  Even if the city doesn't give a crap about the fishing community,  what about the joggers and dog walkers who need to get their exercise in before going to work?
I reluctantly parked beside the gate and prayed that my vehicle wouldn't be towed when I got back. My fishing experience was filled with worry and I eventually gave in and made it back to my vehicle before the scheduled opening time.
I counted 9 vehicles parked outside the gate! Perhaps the city should gate the gated area so no one parks outside the gate prior to the scheduled opening of the gate! When that doesn't work they could put up another gate etc etc etc.
What next put a gate at the access road and give a key to the property owners? I'm sure that the initial gate was put up to discourage kids from partying but lets be real here. If they want to party in the parking lot they will! That gate will not deter them. What a ridiculous idea. Cmon city,  give your head a shake. What is the point of creating a beautiful trail (?) Only to restrict access to it and enforce specific hrs of use. Big brother is a big idiot!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: Parking lot closure
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 09:49:58 PM »

As you know we and others tried to prevent this closure as it does not make sense and a number of people I know cannot walk down there now to fish for various health issues. I would suggest you write the Mayor with your concerns. sharon Gaetz (E-mail) <gaetz@chilliwack.com>

Just to let you know if they use this road for gravel extraction hauling in August a number of us are going to have a protest down there and block the road. ;D getting militant in our old age. ;D ;D

Part of the reason for the closure was they did not want traffic on the road and people driving on the gravel bar at the train bridge of course during gravel extraction what happens?

dave c

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2016, 03:30:39 AM »

Thanks chris. If that protest happens I will support it, but to limit access to the parking lot itself, is just plain ridiculous.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2016, 10:30:08 PM »

Thanks chris. If that protest happens I will support it, but to limit access to the parking lot itself, is just plain ridiculous.
Went down to check tonight and took a  picture of the sign, writing a letter shortly to have it changed. It was not locked at 9 and a number of cars in the lot past the lockup time.

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2016, 09:31:50 AM »

I'm of the mind set that they're prepping us for traffic control when they start gravel extraction and the dump trucks start rolling in.

On the other hand maybe city engineering dept is trying to control summer trash dumping ? It has been a popular dump site over the years.
It ain't the roe bro'

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2016, 12:14:45 PM »

@dave c; the city may be reading yout thread.  The gate was open at 4:30 on Sat morning.  :)