Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Retainable hatchery bull trout?!?  (Read 6216 times)

MetalAndFeathers

Retainable hatchery bull trout?!?
« on: July 13, 2016, 08:44:50 AM »

Had a goat some reds at the vedder yesterday and was told by another fisher that the Chilliwack hatchery stocks a few bull trout! They are hatchery marked and can be retained " Trout/char: 4, but not more than
•    1 over 50 cm (2 hatchery steelhead over
50 cm allowed)
•    2 from streams (must be hatchery) "

My question is how come there is no stocking reports for these bulls? Or is there somewhere someone can link me where i can find the stocking reports.

Thanks

typhoon

• Old Timer
Re: Retainable hatchery bull trout?!?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 09:37:49 AM »

The last I heard of Bull Trout Hatchery fish in BC was in the Kootenays and it ended in 2000.
Only Rainbow Trout (steelhead) have been stocked in the Chilliwack River (by the FWFS) in the past 10 years.
Sounds like a fish tale to me.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2016, 10:07:22 AM »

The Chilliwack Hatchery does not stock Bull Trout.

joshhowat

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2016, 10:17:01 AM »

You where sold my smelly socks.
Eat, Sleep, Fish.

NothingToSnagAbout

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2016, 10:22:32 AM »

Curious for the lack of Bull Trout hatcheries?

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2016, 10:22:51 AM »

One hatchery Steelhead on the Veddar and you need a tag on your license to retain.

Double check the Regs for the system you are fishing.

Not all clipped fish can be retained.

fishmonk

• Fish on baby!
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2016, 11:38:34 AM »

All Bull Trout and Dolly Varden must be released on the C/V...

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2016, 12:20:50 PM »

It dosent seem to specify in the regulations all bull trout must be released in the Chilliwack river,  it does although say you can keep 2 hatchery char on the 2nd page of the BC sypnosis.(http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/regulations/docs/1517/fishing_synopsis_2015-17_region2.pdf)

Wouldnt that mean that if you happened to catch 2 hatchery or clipped bull trout you could keep them? I have no intentions on keeping bull trout but this seems pretty odd.

Trout/char: 4, but not more than
50 cm allowed)
•    2 from streams (must be hatchery)
•    1 char (bull trout, Dolly Varden, or lake
trout)

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2016, 01:40:36 PM »

Wouldnt that mean that if you happened to catch 2 hatchery or clipped bull trout you could keep them? I have no intentions on keeping bull trout but this seems pretty odd.

Trout/char: 4, but not more than
50 cm allowed)
•    2 from streams (must be hatchery)
•    1 char (bull trout, Dolly Varden, or lake trout)

2 total trout/char from streams** but only 1 may be a char. So if you somehow managed to get a hatchery clipped Bull or Dolly then it appears you could retain 1 per day but it must be greater than 30cm as stated in the next section of the regs that Hatchery trout/char under 30 cm from streams must be released.

**the section pertaining to the Vedder specifically states the limit for Rainbows under 50cm is currently 4 so there is apparently no minimum size limit for rainbows in the Vedder and you can keep 4 as opposed to the region-wide limit of 2.

I've always just released any bulls/dollys so I've never even noticed if they were hatchery clipped.

fishmonk

• Fish on baby!
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2016, 09:29:56 PM »

All the years I've been fishing the C\V, I've only ever caught wild Bull Trout and Dollies. I've never seen a clipped one...

dnibbles

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2016, 07:36:46 AM »

You would be killing a wild bull trout that just happened to be missing its adipose fin.

Have some knowledge of the system you are fishing and the fish you expect to catch. There aren't any native hatchery char anywhere in BC.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2016, 07:41:46 AM »

hmmm - my guess the fellow who made up this story is preparing a rationale for killing any bull trout he catches - just a quick snip and it's a hatchery fish!

BTW the Chilliwack River hatchery is operated by DFO. Bull Trout are a Provincial responsibility. If bull trout were raised and stock at a DFO facility there would have to a contract or agreement to do so so it would be public knowledge.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

doja

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2016, 08:50:11 AM »

You would be killing a wild bull trout that just happened to be missing its adipose fin. No fin = hatchery fish as per the rules/written law,  even though it's wild

Have some knowledge of the system you are fishing and the fish you expect to catch. There aren't any native hatchery char anywhere in BC.

Seems a simple few more words in the fishing regulations would be better and eliminate the confusion... In fact you could simply clip each fish you encounter and later catch that same fish (after it heals)  and kinda be legal or open up someone else to legal issues even though they wouldn't know it....  It's actually kind of silly they don't simply state no retention unless I'm missing something. 

I certainly wouldn't expect people to become an expert on what's stocked and such and those in charge should make rules simpler and less confusing....

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2016, 09:27:17 AM »

Bull Trout are migratory. There is no question of legality. It is legal to retain a Bull Trout with a healed adipose fin from the Vedder.
You can be charged for clipping a fin and releasing a fish.

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2016, 11:16:11 AM »

Has anyone ever caught one?
From this or any other system?
Just curious as I have caught them on a.number of occasions (even when I was fishing for them  ::) but have never run across one.

Clipped I mean....