Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cleanup At Jones Lake  (Read 3375 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Cleanup At Jones Lake
« on: July 12, 2016, 01:36:20 PM »

Hope we get a good turnout, anyone from this forum able to attend?

https://www.facebook.com/events/636434843180583/#

Ambassador

Re: Cleanup At Jones Lake
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016, 05:18:25 PM »

Chris and team - I love that you guys are organizing these cleanups.

We made the trip out to the Chilliwack/Vedder this past weekend and I was amazed how garbage-free it was - likely in large part to the work you are doing. Did manage to fill a Safeway bag up with a hubcap we reeled in and a bunch of line - but no Tim Hortons cups, DuMaurier packs, or empty ziplocks - amazing!

We were at Jones looking for a spot on Friday afternoon of the long weekend (yah - very optimistic) and I was completely gut punched by the amount of garbage strewn all the way down the lake (and that was Friday - can only imagine how bad it was late Sunday). There were obviously more than just a couple isolated d-bags leaving far more than footprints behind. I'm just disgusted that anyone who camps and I presume love the outdoors - as undoubtedly ALL would say they do - can leave such horrible messes behind in such a stunning location. Luckily we re-discovered one of our favourite sites under an hour away beside a creek that was also clean as a whistle (nope - not telling where).

That being said - cant make it this Saturday as I'm booked up taking a few friends out fishing - but will be sure to pack out any trash from the river we will be on.

"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 05:44:15 PM »

Chris and team - I love that you guys are organizing these cleanups.

We made the trip out to the Chilliwack/Vedder this past weekend and I was amazed how garbage-free it was - likely in large part to the work you are doing. Did manage to fill a Safeway bag up with a hubcap we reeled in and a bunch of line - but no Tim Hortons cups, DuMaurier packs, or empty ziplocks - amazing!

We were at Jones looking for a spot on Friday afternoon of the long weekend (yah - very optimistic) and I was completely gut punched by the amount of garbage strewn all the way down the lake (and that was Friday - can only imagine how bad it was late Sunday). There were obviously more than just a couple isolated d-bags leaving far more than footprints behind. I'm just disgusted that anyone who camps and I presume love the outdoors - as undoubtedly ALL would say they do - can leave such horrible messes behind in such a stunning location. Luckily we re-discovered one of our favourite sites under an hour away beside a creek that was also clean as a whistle (nope - not telling where).

That being said - cant make it this Saturday as I'm booked up taking a few friends out fishing - but will be sure to pack out any trash from the river we will be on.
Thanks for the post. I am sure some of the hundreds that are on this forum will come as I am sure some enjoy fishing there. They could also stay after the cleanup and fish. ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2016, 10:44:42 PM »

Here is the press release.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

FRASER VALLEY ILLEGAL DUMPING ALLIANCE PLANNING CLEANUP

AT JONES LAKE FOR SATURDAY, JULY 23RD

Chilliwack, BC, July 14, 2016 –  The Fraser Valley Illegal Dumping Alliance is at it again!

This time, the Alliance is planning a spot cleanup on Saturday, July 23rd, to remove a massive amount of garbage that has been illegally dumped at a popular camping area by Jones Lake.

"The Fraser Valley Illegal Dumping Alliance was notified about the serious situation up at Jones Lake by members of the BC Conservation Officers Service, who discovered the dumpsite while out on patrol," says Fraser Riverkeeper Joe Daniels, chair of the Alliance. "The officers reached out to us in hopes that we'd be able to mobilize a community effort to clean up the terrible mess that these irresponsible campers chose to leave behind."

Fraser Valley Salmon Society Treasurer Chris Gadsden, who frequently volunteers to help clean up garbage that's been illegally dumped in the Fraser Valley, rated the site at Jones Lake to be among "the worst he's ever seen". Garbage left at the site includes a multitude of damaged and discarded camping gear, everything from chairs and bedding to BBQ parts, as well as countless plastic food and beverage containers and even makeshift latrines.

"Disappointingly, this garbage appears to be the remnants from yet another grad party celebrating the end of the school term," says Daniels. "Young people, both upstream in the Fraser Valley and downstream in Metro Vancouver, need to get the loud-and-clear message that this kind of behaviour is utterly unacceptable. It's easy to forgive a bit of youthful exuberance, but it becomes much more difficult when the aftermath is left for others to deal with. Whatever happened to packing out what you packed in?"

Fraser Riverkeeper's Executive Director, Lauren Hornor, explained that the Alliance is always ready and willing to assist conservation officers in cleaning up illegally dumped garbage. "Fraser Valley conservation officers do tremendous work safeguarding our treasured wild places, but they need our help. There are simply not enough boots on the ground to police a jurisdiction that's roughly the size of Great Britain. These officers can't be everywhere, so it's up to us to act as their eyes and ears, reporting illegal dumping activity and other environmental violations wherever we see them. And while we're at it, we can write our MLA's and let them know that the Province needs to be doing more to support our COs."

For those interested in coming out to support the Jones Lake cleanup on July 23rd, volunteers will be meeting at the base of Jones Lake FSR near the turnoff from Laidlaw Rd off Trans Canada Highway 1, for coffee and refreshments before heading up to the dumpsite at 10:30 AM. Gloves, garbage bags, and pickup sticks will be provided. Due to the nature of the garbage at this site, this event is not family friendly, so volunteers are asked not to bring small children. 

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2016, 06:21:12 PM »

Cleanup done, 15 people attended plus a lot of concerned campers as well, a job well done. Thanks to the Fraser Valley Illegal Dumping Alliance for putting this together. Pictures I took if you wish I have put on their FB page.

Will get totals collected up here later, when we receive them.

Next cleanup BC Rivers Day put on by the Chilliwack Vedder River Cleanup Society. Check out their web site for more details. www.cleanrivers.ca

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2016, 08:00:59 PM »

Results of cleanup just in 600 kg. Good work Joe and team.

Ambassador

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2016, 04:32:50 PM »

Fantastic! Now if it could only be dumped on the lawn of the highschool where these d-bags are from so they could get the message - justice would be served.
"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown