Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Terrace/Skeena Help  (Read 2284 times)

Tylsie

Terrace/Skeena Help
« on: July 09, 2016, 10:07:40 PM »

Not the usual local questions, but I hope someone can help. And I apologize for these dumb questions, but I wasn't expecting to be here and have never researched it. I was in PG on work when I got sent to Terrace. Cleaned that up, but have to head back to Langley on Monday so that leaves me with tomorrow morning to go fishing. I have a few questions I hope someone can answer:

- I was told just to go to Ferry, is there a better place close? - Is it tide dependent? the Tide is out now, but will be back in by the 6?

- All I have my spin caster and an assortment of spoons and spinners. When I drove by everyone was just bar fishing? Would a casting work?

I don't really care if I catch anything as I have no way to transport it, but would still like to option to be there (even if it is 1/250 casts). I am just mostly looking to say I fished the Skeena.

Thanks for any information.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
Re: Terrace/Skeena Help
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 07:51:24 AM »

Ferry island is your best option. It's not affected by tides.  Bar fishing is the best way to target springs. Depending on the rating of your gear you may be able to use it to bar fish. Tackle is available at the Esso station on Hwy 16, Walmart or Cdn Tire. A lot of tourists fish at Ferry, and with the numbers of fishermen you may get to see some action.
Another place you could try is at the driveway entrance to Firshermans memorial boat launch on the Kalum River, just west of town. It's a popular place for the locals to fish. It's mainly bar fishing but that whole stretch can be fished using a lure as it's slow and 15 to 20 feet deep. It would be relatively easy to scramble along the rocks and fish from shore. We occasionally back troll that stretch using lures. This is where you'll find the big springs.....

Good luck!

Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

GordJ

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 02:01:33 PM »

You might be better for going down to the lower parts of Ferry and look for some bull trout water. Your spinning gear might be more suited to them. Big water and big fish with the springs.

Tylsie

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2016, 09:16:21 PM »

Thanks, just headed down to the Kitimat. Hooked one but it spit the hook and then had to leave.

But on the way out I stopped at Ferry and watched. As I was there a rather large school of went through for about 10 minutes (I am guessing but maybe 50-70 fish by the activity I saw). All I ever saw was some porpoising so couldn`t clearly ID them, but they were too small for springs, and none of the 30 or so bar fishers got anything so I think they may have been sockeye as pinks usually jump. All were from about 10 - 30  feet of shore.

Got me thinking, does anyone jig that stretch or float corkies through these schools with any success? I know it was a 1/500 chance I was there just as the school moved through but I imagine if my rods weren't packed I could of had a few minutes of excitement.