Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pleasantly surprised.. Fun day!  (Read 5577 times)

Stantonius

Pleasantly surprised.. Fun day!
« on: July 01, 2016, 11:05:41 AM »

I've been living in the lower mainland for over a decade now, but just this year I've started fishing the local lakes with my belly boat. (I never really thought of lake fishing down here as I'm originally from the Kamloops area and as you all know, those lakes are hard to beat). Anyway I thought I would try out Rolley lake yesterday. I didn't expect to get much as it was pretty hot out and the stocking happened over a month ago... Anyway I caught a few in the morning and it was fun. It slowed down by afternoon, so I drove down to Whonnock where I caught a a few bows and a 16inch cutty! Great scrap on the 4wt! Then the rowers surrounded me, so I thought maybe I'll go back to Rolley for a night bite... So glad I did. About a dozen little bows on the dry fly. It was a blast! Anyway no real point to the story, just good times on a day off. Definitely heading back too :)

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
Re: Pleasantly surprised.. Fun day!
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 03:53:39 PM »

Sounds like a good day!

Stantonius

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2016, 08:05:57 PM »

@HalcyonG, it was super fun catching those bows on the dry fly. That's one of my favourite ways to catch fish on the fly for sure!

On a side note- I think my previous post sounded a bit snotty when I said I never thought of lake fishing down here because I was from the Kamloops area. I meant it was because I mainly focused on the rivers and salmon on the fly which was totally new to me. Anyway just didn't like how it sounded when I read my own words.

Happy Canada Day!

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2016, 12:28:06 PM »

Not snobby at all. While anything can be fun with the right attitude it's hard to compare LML lakes with interior lakes from a pure productivity standpoint. There's really no comparison.

Congrats on a great sounding day. Its nice to have things work out when you decide to pack up and head somewhere else. 

BTW did you happen to catch what the posted hours the gates are currently open at Whonnock?

Stantonius

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2016, 08:17:08 AM »

@DanL, No unfortunately I didn't catch the hours for Whonnock, but at Rolley there was two signs that stated different gate closing times. First sign says gate closes at 11pm, then 10 yards in another one  says 10pm. Strange... I fished it until 947pm, then did the scramble to get the waders off, truck and float outside the gate before 10pm. Would be great if it is indeed 11pm.. The water was bubbling at 10pm! :)

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2016, 05:36:00 PM »

@DanL, No unfortunately I didn't catch the hours for Whonnock, but at Rolley there was two signs that stated different gate closing times. First sign says gate closes at 11pm, then 10 yards in another one  says 10pm. Strange... I fished it until 947pm, then did the scramble to get the waders off, truck and float outside the gate before 10pm. Would be great if it is indeed 11pm.. The water was bubbling at 10pm! :)

I believe that would be the day use gate closes at 10pm and the campsite gate at 11pm.

ajransom

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2016, 09:42:18 PM »

Hard to beat Kamloops, but yes Rolley is a fun lake. Sounds like you had a blast!